Old 24-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Frank Mamone

Default Fertilizer Question

I recently started a planted tank (25G). I added CO2.

I've been mostly lurking here and notice there's plenty of discussion on
additives for the plants. So far I'm just using chelated iron. I noticed it
is being used up everyday.

1) Is there ONE supplement which I can use which includes most of what the
plants needs?

2) Also, I am kind of mad at myself for not researching enough on the
gravel. From what I read I should have used Flourite. I'm thinking of
replacing the gravel with it it, or at least mixing some in.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Old 24-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Dave Millman

Frank Mamone wrote:

I recently started a planted tank (25G). I added CO2.

I've been mostly lurking here and notice there's plenty of discussion on
additives for the plants. So far I'm just using chelated iron. I noticed it
is being used up everyday.

1) Is there ONE supplement which I can use which includes most of what the
plants needs?

Perhaps, perhaps not, because there are many variables including water, plant
load, fish load, lighting, and substrate. Some folks report doing well with
just Tropica Master Grow, which is a high-quality, high-price product from
Europe. If convenience is your sole objective, start there.

2) Also, I am kind of mad at myself for not researching enough on the
gravel. From what I read I should have used Flourite. I'm thinking of
replacing the gravel with it it, or at least mixing some in.

Flourite was the best single decision I've made in this hobby. Plenty of folks
have substrate challenges, I have none.

Old 25-02-2003, 04:36 AM
Jody

1) Is there ONE supplement which I can use which includes most of what the
plants needs?

Dave has already mentioned TMG (Tropica Master Grow) as a good source for
trace elements. You will need a potassium supplement as well. I found
potassium chloride (KCl), or muriate of potash, at Home Depot.

2) Also, I am kind of mad at myself for not researching enough on the
gravel. From what I read I should have used Flourite. I'm thinking of
replacing the gravel with it it, or at least mixing some in.

Gravel will work fine for almost all plants. Smaller is better. I was able
to get this using plain gravel (and fish mulm)
http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/j/d/jdjohn/recent.htm
Here's another example from a different Dave
http://www.okcomputerworks.com/aquarium.html

Jody

Old 25-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Frank Mamone

Thanks Jody....It's comforting to know that people have been successful with
regula gravel.

Thanks!

.. .

Old 26-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Jody

Light and CO2 are the most important things to start with. I see you are
adding CO2. Do you have enough light?

Jody

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks Jody....It's comforting to know that people have been successful

with
regula gravel.

Thanks!

.. .

Old 26-02-2003, 03:05 PM
Frank Mamone

I just added another strip. I think they are 20W each in a 25G tank. So I
should be OK.

I just need to learn about plants. I've had an African tank for over a year
now, so this is diffferent and there's a lot to learn. I ordered some TMG
and will get some pottasium from the Home Depot.

I have plants with the bottom leaves turning brown and one that has new
leaves with brown "veins". I hope this will help. Note that this is a
relatively new setup. I used and established filter/water to start up the
tank.

Thanks

"Jody" wrote in message
news
Light and CO2 are the most important things to start with. I see you are
adding CO2. Do you have enough light?

Jody

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks Jody....It's comforting to know that people have been successful

with
regula gravel.

Thanks!

.. .

Old 26-02-2003, 06:08 PM

1) Is there ONE supplement which I can use which includes most of what the
plants needs?

Yamato green etc is one of the few simple all in fert's.
But it does not add light and CO2.

Plants need 3 basic things: light, CO2 and nutrients. Miss one of
these or get it out of balance, generally= algae.

While adding CO2 is not required, it sure helps a great deal.
For fert's:

KNO3 for NO3 and the extra K
K2SO4 for the K
KH2PO4 for the PO4.
Traces for the trace cations/anions

This give all the practical usage and are the main variables added.

You may need to add baking soda for KH if less than 3 and if the GH is
3 or higher, your okay with that. If not you can add a mix of
CaCl2(Calcium increasaer sold at pool stores sometimes) and
MgSO4(Epsom salt).

2) Also, I am kind of mad at myself for not researching enough on the
gravel. From what I read I should have used Flourite. I'm thinking of
replacing the gravel with it it, or at least mixing some in.
What do you think?
Thanks!

It will help a good deal. Plants will have better color, health and
root systems. Certainly worth the $ IMO/IME.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fertilizer question ed Roses 3 20-01-2004 10:27 PM
Fertilizer & Tomatoes in Pots question Jan Flora Edible Gardening 18 24-06-2003 12:56 AM
Tomato plants / need help / fertilizer question Thomas Jacobs Gardening 3 02-06-2003 12:44 PM
Fertilizer Question Frank Mamone Freshwater Aquaria Plants 14 20-04-2003 07:24 AM
Question: Need Queen Palm Fertilizer Toby Gardening 0 07-02-2003 09:31 PM