Old 25-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Doug Sheely

Default recomendations requested

These are my current test measurements of my 55g planted community tank. Any
suggestions?

PH 6.9
KH 15
Nitrite 0
Amonia 0
Phosphate 1.0
Nitrate 20

Plant growth is minimal and no fish distress that I can see. I am fairly
sure that my Co2 level is a little high. Co2 is injected at aproximnately a
bubble a second. small gravel substrate. Magnum cannister filter. 2 - 55
watt pc lights. Thanks in advance for your suggestions to improve plant
growth and overall health.

Old 25-02-2003, 12:39 AM
kush

At pH 6.9 and kH 15, by formula, your CO2 is right at the level where it may
start being harmful to your fish.

What kind of plants do you have, how long has the tank been up, are you
adding fertilizer, and what is the water temperature? Do you have algae
and, if so, what kind?

kush

Old 25-02-2003, 01:19 AM
Craig Brye

If the measurements are right, your CO2 level is around 57 ppm. I'm
surprised your fish aren't showing signs of distress. Are you fairly
positive your KH test is reliable?

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 25-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Doug Sheely

My tank has been set up for about two years but I just added the plants and
new lighting within the last couple of months. I am not adding any
fertilizers and I do have a UV sterilizer running after having a serious
green water outbreak approximately 2 weeks ago.Plants include Amazon Swords,
Camboa, Ludwiga,Micro Swords and others.

Old 25-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Doug Sheely

I believe it is accurate I am using an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kit and
have tested it several times.

Old 25-02-2003, 02:33 AM
kush

OK, you've got more than enough light and CO2 for photosynthesis, so if
you're plants aren't growing, I assume that either they're nutrient
deficient or the water's too cold. You've got nitrate and phosphate, so you
need to supplement with trace elements. Make sure your thermostat is set at
72º or better.

Old 25-02-2003, 06:21 PM
Frank Mamone

Note that phosphates will through off you CO2 calculations. Are you using
any additives at all that contain phospates?