GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help with java moss (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/2865-help-java-moss.html)

Zach987987987 25-02-2003 08:31 AM

help with java moss

I few months ago I bought a amount of java moss at my local lfs, I got it on
bargin since it was the last one in their tank, it was DARK green and in bad
shape. I have since then trimmed out all the brown dead material and wrapped
around a little gargoyal , I have not seen any new growth from it in a 20
gallon planted tank with 2 watts/gal, CO2 infused, there are no imballances in
the water so I know its not a problem there. Is there anything I could do to
stimulate the growth so as to see a reason to have it?

any help would be welcomed
thanks in advance

LeighMo 25-02-2003 11:21 AM

help with java moss

I few months ago I bought a amount of java moss at my local lfs, I got it on
bargin since it was the last one in their tank, it was DARK green and in bad
shape. I have since then trimmed out all the brown dead material and wrapped
around a little gargoyal , I have not seen any new growth from it in a 20
gallon planted tank with 2 watts/gal, CO2 infused, there are no imballances
in
the water so I know its not a problem there. Is there anything I could do to
stimulate the growth so as to see a reason to have it?

Do you fertilize? What other plants are in the tank?

IME, it can be difficult to keep java moss if you have a lot of fast-growers in
the tank with it. It grows too slowly to compete for nutrients against
fast-growing plants.

Leigh

Rick 25-02-2003 02:35 PM

help with java moss

"LeighMo" wrote in message
[...]

I wish mine would grown more slowly. I throw out handfuls of the stuff.

Rick

WD 25-02-2003 04:58 PM

help with java moss

"Rick" wrote in message
. ca...

I wish mine would grown more slowly. I throw out handfuls of the stuff.

Rick

Me too. I have a 75 with among other things, anacharis and bacopa that grow
like gangbusters, 2.1 wpg, no c02. The Java Moss grew so fast that I
eventually ripped it all out, it was driving me nuts. I still pick out
handfulls bi-weekly from tiny strands that I miss. Prolly the high nitrates
that I can't seem to get under control.