Old 25-02-2003, 01:17 PM
LeighMo

Default Marsilea thinks it's a mushroom...

....because it's growing in the dark.

They told me this plant did well in low light, and they weren't kidding.
Instead of growing toward the light, it grows toward the shade. So much so,
that it's growing thicky *underneath* a large piece of driftwood. This
driftwood is broad and flat and has hollows underneath. I put in it the tank
for provide caves for my clown loaches. I peered into one of the "caves" this
morning, trying to see what the corys were up to, and found that Marsilea has
formed a carpet -- in the cave. It's so dark in there I can hardly see without
a flashlight, but the Marsilea is growing. It's a little paler than the very
dark green it is out in the light, but it's still a pretty bright green.

How strange. The part of the plant that's growing in the light must be
providing nutrients to the part that's growing in the dark. Otherwise, I don't
see how it could survive and spread in a place so dark.

Leigh

Old 26-02-2003, 03:49 AM
LeighMo

Excellent species that is very versatile for usage under all light
levels. Give it time, it will grow in quite densely, i.e.:

http://www.e-aquaria.com/exp_eleung.html

Beautiful photo, as always!

I'm surprised that Marsilea isn't more popular. It's beautiful, fast-growing,
undemanding. One of my favorites.

Leigh

Old 26-02-2003, 08:47 AM
Erik Leung

I agree! I've liked it quite a lot, for some time now... the leaves
have a lot of character: different subtle shades, sizes, number of
fronds, and deepness of the leaf cup.

Really a very unique plant. Enjoy it!

Erik Leung
e-aquaria.com