Old 25-02-2003, 04:54 PM
Frank Mamone

Default CO2/PH/KH Relationship

1) Will filtering with peat help the plants?

2) Will the peat affect Co2 calculations using the PH/KH? I know phosphates
will.

Thanks,

Frank

Old 25-02-2003, 07:26 PM
Dave Millman

Frank Mamone wrote:

1) Will filtering with peat help the plants?

Peat can lower hardness. Plants generally like hardness. Can't be more specific
until you supply more specifics. What problem do you have that you believe peat
will solve?

Old 26-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Iain Miller

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
1) Will filtering with peat help the plants?

2) Will the peat affect Co2 calculations using the PH/KH? I know

phosphates
will.

Depends what you mean by peat filtering. I prepare the water for my tanks
through a peat filtering rig I built - makes me about 50USG at a time - I
use ordinary garden peat. What I found wast that after the initial filtering
there was massive (100-120ppm) amounts of CO2 in the water which then
disperses over time as you'd expect.

Therefore what I do is measure the KH as its working and when that comes
down to where I want it (about 5 DKh) then I stop the thing and then just
circulate the water till the initial blast of CO2 has worn off.. WHat I then
find is that the relationship between KH/PH & CO2 levels seems to work
perfectly well. i.e. the Ph has beeen reduced along side the Kh by a
predictable amount.

When the water is in my tank the PH is then reduced further via CO2
injection - the KH is stable.

If you were referring to using Aquarium peat in your filter then I have
never used it so can't help - although I would think the effects would be
similar though maybe less dramatic.

rgds

I.

Old 26-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Frank Mamone

Yes I was referring to using it in the aquarium filter to soften the water
for the fish -- apistos, rams and tetras. But, I'm hearing here that plants
like hard alkaline water! What a dilemma!

Old 26-02-2003, 04:29 AM
Jody

Plenty of those soft-water South American rivers have both apistos AND
plants, so don't worry about it. Most apisto tanks have plants to help give
the fish a secure feeling. Pure breeder tanks with bare bottoms obviously
will not. But again, most community-type apisto tanks do have plants.
Conversely, most African Rift Lake tanks, which are hard and alkaline, have
NO plants. That is mainly because those type of fish like to dig and dine
on plants. To sum up, I think the type of water you have will dictate the
type of fish you keep, and the type of fish you keep will dictate plants. I
say enjoy both!

Jody

Old 26-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Frank Mamone

I imagine the SA will get used to the moderately hard water. I won't put the
peat in then.

Thanks!

Old 26-02-2003, 06:14 PM
Rich Conley

somebody was telling me that there are almost no plants in the rivers that most
apistos live in...the thing that bringgs the PH down so much is all the leaf
litter from the overhanging trees... The trees make these streams too dark to
support plant life. This info was from his collecting trip.