Old 26-02-2003, 01:28 AM
linda mar

Default newly sprouting java fern tips looking "damaged"?

hi,

I have two java fern in my 2G filtered betta tank. it only has ambient
light (no tank light). tank is still cycling (I think.. i haven't checked
ammonia/nitrite level yet. it's only been about 2 weeks)

one of the java fern started to sprout new leaves from the rhizome... but
instead of that paper-opaque bright green, it is much darker green at the
tips, almost like what you would see if you smush the lettuce leaf and
damage the cellls (somewhat translucent, but not really.. just looks
darker), or soak a green paper in water. the shape of the new leaves look
normal (meaning, doesn't look deformed, or curled up or anything).. just
almost two-tone.

what does this indicate of the health of the plant? is this normal, or is
it deficient in something? otherwise, the fern looks rather unchanged from
when I first got it 3-4 weeks ago (good green color, no dying leaf except
one.. but I think that leaf is just old and just needs to be removed soon,
and the other fern is starting to sprout small leaves that looks two-toned).

one of the fern is held onto granite rock and the other small drift wood
using a rubber band. but it's not on that tight, so I don't think it's
cutting into the roots or anything.

temp ~80F.. no other water condition is known. probably somewhat hard
water, but not too incredibly hard (this is just from my experience of
mineral deposit growing on my electric hot water pot, and how well the
shampoo bubbles, and how my hair feels after shampooing, and fact that some
of my friends living in the area has water softener tank in their garage)
don't know what the pH is, but the betta is blowing bubbles, so whatever it
is, it's still within comfort region for the fish.

linda

Old 26-02-2003, 01:36 AM
zxcvbob

one of the java fern started to sprout new leaves from the rhizome... but
instead of that paper-opaque bright green, it is much darker green at the
tips, almost like what you would see if you smush the lettuce leaf and
damage the cellls (somewhat translucent, but not really.. just looks
darker), or soak a green paper in water. the shape of the new leaves look
normal (meaning, doesn't look deformed, or curled up or anything).. just
almost two-tone.

That's normal. I'm not sure whether it specifically means the plant is
healthy, or if it doesn't mean anything at all.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 26-02-2003, 01:39 AM
LeighMo

is this normal, or is
it deficient in something?

I vote for "normal." New java fern leaves are transparent. The bright green
color will slowly spread up the leaf as it matures.

Leigh

Old 26-02-2003, 02:08 AM
linda mar

zxcvbob and LighMo,