Old 25-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Registered User

Location: Worcestershire
Exclamation CO2 tank dumps?

OK, I have now managed to set up my pressurized set up. I am using a twin gauge Deltec regulator with needle valve, an Aquamedic bubble counter, with a 14lb bottle, feeding the CO2 directly to the intake of my Eheim Pro II 2028.

Firstly, I have set the regulator pressure @ 1 bar, is this enough?

Bubble rate is 1 bubble per second.

Now to my main worry, TANK DUMPS!!!

I have read a few horror stories about bottles dumping their last load of CO2 into the tank when they are coming to the end, killing all the inhabitants. Can this catastrophy be avoided and if so, how?

Many thanx for your much needed advice!

Planted Discus tank. (300 litres)

Temp - 84

NH3 - 0

NO2 - 0

NO3 - 20mg/l

pH - 6.5

KH - 2 degrees

GH - 8 degrees
__________________
'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'
Old 25-05-2003, 04:32 PM
SteveG

Default CO2 tank dumps?

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

I think the risk of end-of-tank dump is only for CO2 tanks that do not have
a needle valve controlling them.

--
Skunky

'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'

News==----

Newsgroups

=---

Old 25-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Bob Alston

Take a look at my web site. Scroll down to the last two items on end of
tank dump.

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...Pressure%20CO2

--
Bob Alston

"Skunky" wrote in message

[...]

---
Bob's Dell 4400 - Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old 26-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Robert

For those that maintain a "tank dump" is possible with a 2-stage regulator,
please explain why my oxy-acetylene torch doesn't act like a flame thrower
when the acetylene tank runs out or why the oxygen tank doesn't blast out
the flame when it goes to empty. Trust me, neither thing happens. I have
used CO2 on a 120 with 8 wild discus and huge schools of cardinals and rummy
noses for over three years and no "dump". Maybe a piscine urban legend?

Old 26-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Bob Alston

I don't say this is an issue with a two stage regulator. I only use a
single stage regulator, with dual guages. I have never heard of tank dump
in context of a 2-stage regulator.

--
Bob Alston

Old 26-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Registered User

Location: Worcestershire

When you say a 2 stage regulator, does this mean when a needle valve is incorperated. I would imagine that a tank dump would not be possible due to the fine adjustment of the valve, should an mount of back pressure build up, the valve would control the pressure due to it's fine adjustment????

Thanx
__________________
'Peace On Earth.....And In The Water'
Old 26-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Bob Alston

Apparently not the case. Read the articles on my web site. Se my earlier
post for direct url.

--
Bob Alston

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Joe Ferenchik

midpost

On Sun, 25 May 2003 11:18:19 +0100, Skunky
wrote:

OK, I have now managed to set up my pressurized set up. I am using a
twin gauge Deltec regulator with needle valve, an Aquamedic bubble
counter, with a 14lb bottle, feeding the CO2 directly to the intake of
my Eheim Pro II 2028.

Firstly, I have set the regulator pressure @ 1 bar, is this enough?

Bubble rate is 1 bubble per second.

a measure of pH and hardness kh on a co2 graph will show you where
your concentration in mg/l is (see co2 links)

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm my favorite..

Now to my main worry, TANK DUMPS!!!

Tank dumps are essentially alleviated/eliminated with the use of a
metering device (needle valve). This is because no matter what happens
at the regulator it's the needle valve that is regulating the flow
into your tank. The regulator is just setting your output pressure to
the needle valve.

I have read a few horror stories about bottles dumping their last load
of CO2 into the tank when they are coming to the end, killing all the
inhabitants. Can this catastrophy be avoided and if so, how?

Yes it can and it appears that you have all of the necessary hardware
in place to curb this malady. Essentially what happens is that the
cylinder dumps the remaining gas in the tank. The excess co2 blankets
the surface of the aquarium (especially those with a tight fitting
lid) thereby prohibiting an oxygen gas exchange at the waters surface.
This happens because there is nothing to meter the gas into the
aquarium.

Now IME I've got a needle valve regulating the flow to my diy reactor
and I've had my cylinder at less than 50 pounds pressure before I've
cut it loose and taken it in for an exchange. I have had no ill
effects in letting the cylinder go this low. It takes quite a bit of
time once the pressure gauge starts to drop (no more liquid in the
cylinder) to where you'd get to the panic point anyway. I'd think that
most people give their cylinder gauges a daily glance while they're
checking the operation of everything else. If you're a paranoid sort
you can also valve the cylinder out if you think it's gonna dump. The
regulators high/low side and the line to the needle valve will stay
charged for quite a bit of time (depending on your flow rate). You
can repeat this line charging process till you have the time to go get
an exchange cylinder. hth

Many thanx for your much needed advice!

snip
Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Bob Alston

Tank dumps are essentially alleviated/eliminated with the use of a
metering device (needle valve). This is because no matter what happens
at the regulator it's the needle valve that is regulating the flow
into your tank.

I disagree. There may be a level of pressure that "floods" the needle
valve, letting no more gas thru it. However, at the level of pressure I
use, between 8 and 20 lbs out of the regulator, the amount of gas flowing
through the needle valve is very much affected by pressure. You can easily
see this if you have a bubble counter by varying the regulator output
pressure.

The key is to have a high enough pressure, such that at end of tank, the
increase in pressure is small, in comparison to the existing pressure, so
that the increase in co2 flowing is also small. See the link below for a
good explanation:

http://www.fishgeeks.com/modules.php...id+vapor#71249

See my web site for more links to articles on end-of-tank dump: