Old 26-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Christopher

Default algae eaters

I currently have 3 CAE, 4 SAE, and a pleco in my 125g, there is still a
problem with algae, I'm thinking about getting a couple more SAE's so maybe
they will school, but I heard there was an "ocil...." something that was
like a small pleco, but can clean leaves better and not harm them...can
anyone fill me in with info on this critter as well as the different types
(if there are) and the sizes they get.....I currently have 1.5" SAE's in my
tank of cichlids with no problem, the cichlids pretty much mind their own
business....

Old 26-02-2003, 09:16 AM
Tasslehoff

otocinclus affinis or suckermouth catfish I think you're referring to do a
magnificent job on green algae on plants and the brown diatom type. Not
sure about their compatability with SAE's though as I think my otos stressed
my very young introduced SAE's to death.

hlink.net...

Old 26-02-2003, 01:12 PM
LeighMo

otocinclus affinis or suckermouth catfish I think you're referring to do a
magnificent job on green algae on plants and the brown diatom type. Not
sure about their compatability with SAE's though as I think my otos stressed
my very young introduced SAE's to death.

SAEs and otos are compatible. I've kept them together for awhile now, and
rarely interact. They even eat different kinds of algae.

Leigh

Old 26-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Christopher

will the ottos eat the really rough green algae that I get on my plant
leaves and glass?
also whats the max size of the ottos and is there mroe than one type (like
with plecos)

u...

Old 26-02-2003, 06:56 PM
Richmond

How about Ottos and Corys, are hey compatible?

I have 5 SAEs, 7 Ottos, 4 Albino Corys, 4 Amano and 3 Ghost shrimps in
my 55 Gal planted Tank.

Hope this helps
Dominic

Old 26-02-2003, 07:21 PM
linda mar

I have 4 otos and bunch of danios.. since the otos cleared out the tank, I
thought I'd feed them hikari algae wafers... so i dropped one in yesterday,
and all the danios zoomed in on it and ate most of it while the otos ignored
it.

does this mean that otos are content with the amount of food it's getting
off the algae growth?

linda

om...

Old 26-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Philippe Lemaire

What about Rineloricaria Lanceolata ("red" i.e. L10a) ?
They seem to eat green algae...

Philippe

Old 26-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Philippe Lemaire