Old 26-02-2003, 02:46 PM
Bob A

Default my lone oto

I have 10 otos arriving at the LFS tomorrow (hopefully), I first got 6 and 5
of them died the next morning. I'm told they are delicate. This post
actually is a "for-fun" post, but if there are any suggestions on helping
the new ones survive I'd appreciate.

pH 7.4 (hopefully going down with CO2 when it works)
Ammonia and Nitrites 0
NO3 15ppm
GH 5
KH 2
76-77 degrees F

Actually though, the story is about my oto. He is a trip. I have never
had otos before so I'm not sure about his behavior. He is VERY active,
swimming from spot to spot and eating a little algae as he goes. The funny
thing is that he obviously was lonely, so he took up with the zebra danios.
He chases them around! They pretty much ignore him. I wonder when the new
otos come in if he will continue to think he's a danio.

take care,

bob

Old 19-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Brian

Bob, I've found Otos to be pretty difficult to get acclimated but once
they're in the tank for a week or so they seem to live for a long time. I
finally figured out that they have to be acclimated very slowly. My GH and
KH are similar to yours and I have problems acclimating every kind of fish
if I don't do it very slowly. I'm guessing that the KH at your LFS is much
higher than that of your tank. My LFS actually even adds more buffer by way
of stress coat in every bag of fish. I've finally learned after many dead
fish and more $$ than I want to think about that I must take about 4 or 5
hours to acclimate my fish. Since I've been doing that I've been OK. If
you want me to tell you how I do it just say the word. Hope this helps.

--
-Brian Head

Old 19-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Bob A

Brian, my new otos arrived quite a while back, 10, and I only lost one. I
think the first batch either had a problem, or had a problem as you say
acclimating to my tank water. If your methods are good for you, it would
probably be good to post them as so.

I'm really enjoying the otos, they are a trip. Tried to offer my crew a
little zuchinni today, but they are much more interested in algae.

thanks!

bob