Old 26-02-2003, 03:59 PM
Artur

Default Cutting roots

Guys, I have a question. My stem plants, especially Rotalia, developed
long hanging roots creating Jurassic jungle type environment. Is it a
good idea to cut these roots, or are they necessary for nutrients
intake by stem plants? Please advise me. Thanks a lot.
Old 26-02-2003, 04:18 PM
kush

You can prune the roots without damaging roots but they will very quickly
grow back. Most stem plants will produce roots from the leaf nodes. A more
effective strategy for most stem plants is to pull out the entire stem, cut
off the bottom half, and replant the top half.

I actually do the opposite with my Rotalas, though. I prune the TOP 3/4 off
each week and each stem-stub puts out four or five new stems, creating a
very dense shrub and inhibiting the growth of dangling "aerial" roots.
Still, every couple months I need to pull out the whole mass and replant the
stem tips to keep it looking nice.

om...

Old 08-03-2003, 02:09 PM
Aquatic-store.com

You can cut them,.
From what I have noticed when there is an increase in nutrients in the
water column, The plants will put out side shoots to grab even more.

Marcus

Check out our updated store with co2 equipment, lighting, live plants
and more

http://www.Aquatic-Store.com

On 26 Feb 2003 07:59:27 -0800, (Artur) wrote:

Guys, I have a question. My stem plants, especially Rotalia, developed
long hanging roots creating Jurassic jungle type environment. Is it a
good idea to cut these roots, or are they necessary for nutrients
intake by stem plants? Please advise me. Thanks a lot.

[IBC] Cutting paste on roots? Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 1 20-10-2005 06:49 PM
[IBC] Cutting paste on roots? Michel Bourgeois Bonsai 1 20-10-2005 02:26 PM
Cutting Phal roots Ray Orchids 1 23-02-2004 12:08 AM
cutting back on cutting back Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 23-09-2003 12:04 AM
Cutting roots Artur Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:24 AM