Old 25-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Donovan Niewoehner

Default Substrate Experences

I'm setting up a 30 gallon planted tank and have been unable to find a
local supply of Flourite, after doing some internet searches I've found that
profile is a good (and inexpensive) alternative, has anybody here had
personal experence with this product? I was just wondering if it had any
negative properties I should be aware of (light weight, ugly color, ect). I
would probably buy a 20lb bag of it and mix the rest with standard aquarium
gravel. I plan on growing pretty standard easy to care for plants, (swords,
java moss/fern, apon. lillies, crypts and anublias)
If anybody has any suggestions for other alternative substrates, feel
free to share your experence.
Also, I'm going to be using a HOT power filter, should I invest in a
device to circulate water around the tank (I think it's called a powerhead)?

thanks for any input
--donovan

--
As Nietsche famously said, "If you stare too long into the Abyss, 1d4
Tanar'ri of random type will attack you."

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Luca Brazi

I have a 55 planted with profile as a substrate (supplemented with a
few balls of substrate gold flourite and fertilizer root tabs). I
like the color just fine, but maybe some people don't (sort of a
washed out reddish color)--I think it looks more "natural" than
aquarium gravel. You should wash it thoroughly before you use it. I
wouldn't worry about adding a powerhead for additional circulation,
unless your fish would appreciate a stronger current.
In fact, too much surface turbulence would drive off the CO2 that your
plants need to grow (I use co2 injection on my big tank and Seachem's
Flourish Excel on my small one).

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Harry Muscle

[...]

The only downside that I've heard of about profile is that it's lighter than
flourite therefore more likely to get blown around when ever one does
something in the tank. How light, I'm not sure, since I don't use it as of
yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Harry

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM

I was just wondering if it had any
negative properties I should be aware of (light weight, ugly color, ect).

would probably buy a 20lb bag of it and mix the rest with standard

aquarium
gravel. I plan on growing pretty standard easy to care for plants,

(swords,
java moss/fern, apon. lillies, crypts and anublias)

powerhead)?

thanks for any input
--donovan

Light weight is the biggest gripe.
For a small tank, simply buy flourite or onxy sand. You can mail order
it for about 10-12$ a bag(BigAl's etc). The profile will cost about
1/2 or so. Not really a large saving on a smaller tank like, a 20 gal
etc.
You can save in other areas and upgrade things much easier like the
CO2/lights etc, substrate changes are a pain.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 29-05-2003, 12:56 PM
LeighMo

Some people have had trouble with Profile. The problem is that it's mined from
several different sources, so you never know exactly what you're going to get.
Some people have reported getting batches with very high phosphate levels, or
that are very alkaline.

Leigh