Old 20-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Frank Mamone

Default Problem with CO2 unit

I just installed one Hagen Plant-Gro system and I couldn't get bubbles when
hanging the canister at tank level. I was susccesful but putting it on the
floor. I'm just wondering if the length of the tubing and level of canister
makes a difference.

Thanks,

Frank.

Old 20-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Philip Ash

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
I just installed one Hagen Plant-Gro system and I couldn't get bubbles

when
hanging the canister at tank level. I was susccesful but putting it on the
floor. I'm just wondering if the length of the tubing and level of

canister
makes a difference.

Thanks,

Frank.

Frank,

Length of tubing does affect the units ability to push the gas out. A
pressure needs to build up in the canister before the bubbles have enough
force to 'pop' out of the end of the tube.
I have two of these units and I find that if I use all of the stabilzer
sachet, my units dont produce either. Half works better.
I now just use bread yeast anyway, not the 4 gbp box of pre-measured yeast
hagen sell Bread yeast costs about 80p and would probably last me over a
year. (I dont think yeast can survive too long once its open tho.)

When your unit is on the floor, is it nearer a heat source? I have mine on
the floor, touching my radiator pipes
A warm spot will help the yeast produce.
Another thing, make sure the water you use is about 20-25c no warmer. It
kills the yeast otherwise.
If you use colder water, the bubbles take longer to produce. The first
bubbles are simply air, and they don't shrink in size like the CO2 does.

I have had good results and have been happy with mine.

Hope this helps

Phil.

Old 26-02-2003, 02:52 PM
Aquatic-store.com

It shouldnt. You may have a leak somewhere

Marcus

http://www.Aquatic-store.com

Old 20-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Philip Ash

"Frank Mamone" wrote in message
.. .
Hi Philip,

Did you measure the amounts they use? I want to do the same thing and was
gonna measure the amounts. I assume the stabilizer is baking soda?

The temperture can be a problem for me in the summer months as it gets
really hot. I hope it will still work to some extent. Maybe I can put it

in
a bucket of ice

Thanks for the info,

Frank

I didn't measure the amounts, as they don't seem to be *critical*.
Because I now use cheap yeast, I don't even bother with baking soda.
If you add too much yeast the reaction is too violent, you get too many
bubbles, too quick and the sugar is used too quickly.
If you add not enough, then the opposite. I think I use roughly 1/4 teaspoon
of the yeast I have, and it works fine.
I never got 4 weeks out of the Hagen mix anyway. Yeast on its own lasts
about two weeks. I refill one unit a week, and Ive got a good constant
supply then.
I have two units on a 75 UK Gal tank btw.

I guess a bucket of water would be enough. It would take a day or two to get
fully warm, ( It would act as a heat sink), and then you could change it for
fresh cooler water.

Good luck,

Phil.