Old 28-02-2003, 06:48 AM
E. Mito

Default Trumpet snail exodus

In article , "dGH"
writes:

I've just seen the most amazing thing, and I'd like to know if there's a
reason for concern. I have a small recently planted tank (20g). I switched
off the light, and 20 minutes later there are 50 trumpet snails "beelining"
it to the surface along a congested path in the middle of the front glass.
It looked like a highway during rush hour. They were even releasing their
offspring as they went. By the time the adults reached the top, there must
have been 20 young snails mixed in with them. I really wish I owned a
digital camera. All this occured on a path that was no wider than 2 inches
across.

Sounds like a fascinating sight! Must have been amazing to watch. I don't
know if there is really any reason for you to be alarmed; I was just browsing
through the Baensch atlas and the section on trumpet snails says this is just
what they do. "At night they will collect on the glass just beneath the water
line..."

Maybe they were just following one who knew the way.

Erica
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/mitoem/mitoem/index.htm

Old 28-02-2003, 09:09 AM
dGH

I've just seen the most amazing thing, and I'd like to know if there's a
reason for concern. I have a small recently planted tank (20g). I switched
off the light, and 20 minutes later there are 50 trumpet snails "beelining"
it to the surface along a congested path in the middle of the front glass.
It looked like a highway during rush hour. They were even releasing their
offspring as they went. By the time the adults reached the top, there must
have been 20 young snails mixed in with them. I really wish I owned a
digital camera. All this occured on a path that was no wider than 2 inches
across.

I'm concerned that since I started a Hagen CO2 system today that the water
parameters have changed too drastically. My Ph went from 7.6 to 6.4. I
added the plants 2 days ago, and I know it affected my Ph. When I woke up
yesterday, my clown loaches were poking out the top of the water (apparently
for air). I immediately turned on the light to hopefully start the
photosynthesis process. My loaches used to come out all the time when I had
a cheapo 15W fluorescent. Now, they hide all day with the 55W PC I have
running.

It seems that most people advised not to try to stop the CO2 at night. With
a yeast system, this seems impossible anyways. I was wondering if it would
be beneficial to turn on an air stone from a pump though. That might help.
I definitely didn't enjoy the sight of my clowns bobbing for air come
morning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 28-02-2003, 12:11 PM
LeighMo

I don't think there's any reason for concern. This is just what MTS do. They
are nocturnal. As soon as you turn off the lights, they emerge from the gravel
and go in search of algae to munch. Mine do this every night. (If you turn
the lights on again, they will fall back to the gravel in a panic.)

I'm concerned that since I started a Hagen CO2 system today that the water
parameters have changed too drastically. My Ph went from 7.6 to 6.4.

That's too much CO2. You should increase aeration in the tank. Aim for a pH
of around 6.8.

When I woke up
yesterday, my clown loaches were poking out the top of the water (apparently
for air).

More aeration will help with this problem.

My loaches used to come out all the time when I had
a cheapo 15W fluorescent. Now, they hide all day with the 55W PC I have
running.

Loaches prefer dim lighting. However, they'll adjust, especially if there are
plenty of plants to hide among.

It seems that most people advised not to try to stop the CO2 at night. With
a yeast system, this seems impossible anyways. I was wondering if it would
be beneficial to turn on an air stone from a pump though. That might help.
I definitely didn't enjoy the sight of my clowns bobbing for air come
morning.

Increase your aeration/surface turbulence. A powerhead would be better than an
airstone. You can control how much CO2 stays in the water very precisely with
a powerhead, just by aiming it for more or less surface agitation.

Some people put the powerhead on a timer to go on when the lights go off, but I
think you'd be better off leaving it on all the time. You have too much CO2.

Eventually, when the plants are growing better, you may not need the powerhead
any more. But if you just planted the tank two days ago, you can't expect the
plants to provide enough oxygen to last the whole night. They are in shock at
being transplanted, and will need a few days or weeks to get established and
start growing well.

Leigh