Old 01-03-2003, 07:16 PM
WhiskerFish

Default Purple Cobomba

Hello all

The LFS has a shipment in of Purple Cobomba. Really nice looking
stuff! Done numerous searches and have not been able to find any info
on it. Got my flourite and my lighting system delivered and want to
start planning a layout but need to know if this stuff will fit my
parameters. Any help would be appreciated.

WF
Old 01-03-2003, 07:37 PM
Craig Brye

The only plant I could think of would be Cabomba piauhyensis. This is
usually an extremely difficult plant for most people. It usually needs
around 4 watts of lighting for most tanks (under 75 gallons). It prefers
soft water and needs good fertilization and constant CO2 injection (it
cannot use carbon dioxide bonded to carbonates and bicarbonates in harder
water). The plant can grow to 20 inches or more.

Notice how I used the word "usually" because everyone's experience will
differ!

--
Craig Brye
University of Phoenix Online

Old 01-03-2003, 08:07 PM
WhiskerFish

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 13:37:05 -0600, "Craig Brye"
wrote:

The only plant I could think of would be Cabomba piauhyensis. This is
usually an extremely difficult plant for most people. It usually needs
around 4 watts of lighting for most tanks (under 75 gallons). It prefers
soft water and needs good fertilization and constant CO2 injection (it
cannot use carbon dioxide bonded to carbonates and bicarbonates in harder
water). The plant can grow to 20 inches or more.

Notice how I used the word "usually" because everyone's experience will
differ!

This stuff has a VERY fine needle leave but grows thick and looks like
a good colorful space filler

WF

Old 01-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Eric Schreiber

WhiskerFish wrote:

The LFS has a shipment in of Purple Cobomba. Really nice looking
stuff! Done numerous searches and have not been able to find any info
on it. Got my flourite and my lighting system delivered and want to
start planning a layout but need to know if this stuff will fit my
parameters. Any help would be appreciated.

The following is completely stolen from www.petsolutions.com

"Purple Cabomba, Cabomba pulcherrima, is a hardy plant that has found
its way into a number of planted aquariums for its pretty purple hues.
Cabomba; also known as fish grass, water shield, and fanwort, has the
ability to thrive in a wide variety of water conditions. The fast
growth of cabomba also draws a number of aquarists to help keep
nutrient levels and possible algae blooms under control. Found from
the regions of Central to South Americas, cabomba reproduces via
cuttings. Flowers and seeds are also employed for reproduction at
times by cabomba. This lush plant will make a great backdrop in your
aquarium. Several bunches are recommended for initial plantings, with
individual plants being grouped closely."

Also, see their further details at www.petsolutions.com/99560.html

I have no experience with the purple variety, but I recently planted
several bunches of Green Cabomba (presumably a very similar plant) in
my 20 gallon tank. With about three watts per gallon, in Flourite,
with DIY CO2 and adding Flourish Excel daily, it grew very nearly two
inches in the first week. This is the first plant that I've placed in
my tank that I had to trim because of its growth - I'm replanting the
clippings, and they're growing as well. I hope/expect to fill in the
entire back of the tank with cabomba in just a few months time.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 01-03-2003, 10:52 PM
LeighMo

I have a plant that was sold to me as purple Cabomba. Not sure of the species
name, but it looks exactly like regular Cabomba caroliniana, only it's purple.
Not Barney-purple, a sort of reddish purple, like the color of purple or red
grapes. In really bright light, it turns a pretty yellow-red color.

If this is what your LFS has, it's easy to keep. No different than regular
Cabomba. The color will be most striking in high light, but it grows in
moderate light. (And in fact gets thicker. The internode length shortens up
in moderate lighting, making it bushier.)

Leigh

Old 01-03-2003, 11:08 PM
WhiskerFish

Thanks for all the info Guys. As usual it sounds like you are all
right on the mark. Looks like a good plant for what I want.

WF

Old 01-03-2003, 11:08 PM
WhiskerFish

Crocus Barr's Purple ramyad Gardening 0 04-04-2009 04:10 AM
Purple flower 3 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:01 AM
Purple flower 2 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:00 AM
Pruning Cobomba Dustin The-Wind Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 24-03-2004 09:02 AM
Purple Cobomba WhiskerFish Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:23 AM