Old 02-03-2003, 08:08 PM
LM

Default water report (WAS: effort in clearing up hazy water... will this do?)

Hi Kush,

sorry. couldn't get on the net last night, but here are my test results:

Fri night: (hard to get correct reading due to no sunlight.. so I don't
really trust this number... just that the tap was much more alkaline than
the tank)
tank: pH ~7.4
fresh out-of-tap cold: pH ~8.3

Sat evening (all values in-between color indicators.. but best guess based
on gradation of water coloration):
tank: pH~7.6 (max out on low pH indicator, but lower than 7.8 on high pH
indicator)
bucket full of water left out overnight: pH ~7.7 (a shade darker than tank)
fresh out-of-tap cold: pH ~7.8 (a shade darker than stale water, pretty
close to 7.8 indicator).

tank water chemistry (before 20% water change):
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate= don't know (no test kit yet)
GH=3
KH=3
temp ~78F
water - still cloudy... bit yellow due to tannin (but yellow is ok)

so... the tap seems to be tad higher in pH than the tank water.. I intend
to check the tap pH again on a weekday night to see if it fluctuates a lot
depending on community water use.

as for plants:

As you suggested, I didn't really do much of vacumming, except for getitng
obviously rotting large chunks of debris, shaking plants clear etc...

E. ozelot - growing very well, bushy, very large and broad leaves. mostly
red.. some newer leaves are starting to turn a bit more green. old leaves
are totally green (barely can see red spots). newer leaves are a lot
larger, broader, and overlall shorter (original leaves are oval, and small,
with long stalks)
E. amazon - not as prolific as the ozelot, but doing okay. tad pale green..
some brown patches in the edges (probably lack of nutrients--stuffed some
Flourish Tabs near the roots)
E. parviflorus v.tropica - doing okay.. not growing that much.. I guess
haven't really recovered from transplant shock, or is just slower growing.
some brown spots, but the rest of the plant is nice solid green
E. rubin - not well. all but one has "melted" near the crown. the
remaining one is struggling to survive.. is sending out few new red leaves,
I think one may survive
A. boivinianus - grows leaf blades very fast, but most leaves develop brown
"scorched" patches (doesn't stay green very long). current may be too high
and damaging plants? leaf blades are ~40in long and when growing, grows
about 3-4in/day! leaves that cover the surface is covered in algae.. but
that's ok. I'll probably end up pruning those leaves eventually as the
brown part gets too dominant and starts fraying
Madagascar Lace - one is doing very badly (leaves turning brown and dying),
the other is okay.. not great.. particles getting "strained" on the
leaves... also current may be too high for this plant...
several crypt wendtii - doing well
several crypt lutea - doing well
lysmachia - doing very well
various foxtails- doing so-so.. fine leaves acting too much like strainer..
lower areas where shaded by other plants end up bare
rotala indica - not too great. suspect current too strong and is injuring
leaves and rotting it away.. just cut the top off, and re-planted, hoping to
save some
java fern - doing fine
anubias barteri nana - no change (rhizome looks green and fleshy, so i
assume ok)
few strands of anacharis, left floating for now - doing well

fish:
gold danios longfin - happy, all over the place
white cloud minnows - happy, loosely schooling around the upper part of the
tank
lace gouramis - hiding in the low current area of the tank
otos - all over the place.. munching away..
snails - few generic snails that came with the plants.. been occasionally
picking it off and throwing it away.

linda