Old 11-06-2003, 04:32 AM
BOB ALSTON

Default CO2 regulator recommendation?

Robert H. wrote: "tons of complaints on the net about regulators leaking,
faulty gauges, leaky needle valves, and tank dumps."

Gee - That is not what I have observed on the internet. I am fairly active
on internet planted tank and co2 related forums. I would like to be
educated as to the data documenting the "tons of complaints" so I could be
better informed on this issue.

Bob

Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Robert H

"BOB ALSTON" wrote in message news:3ee6a079@shknews01...
Robert H. wrote: "tons of complaints on the net about regulators leaking,
faulty gauges, leaky needle valves, and tank dumps."

Gee - That is not what I have observed on the internet. I am fairly active
on internet planted tank and co2 related forums. I would like to be
educated as to the data documenting the "tons of complaints" so I could be
better informed on this issue.

Bob

Just do a google search and a search in APD. Bob, what is the big
attraction about this regulator that you are always reccomending? What
justifies paying well over $100 for this high pressure regulator when
you can get one from Home Depot for $20 ? Its not made specifically
for aquarium use, yet its more expensive than regulators that are made
for aquariums. What is so special about it?

Robert
Old 12-06-2003, 12:21 AM
BOB ALSTON

It just seems to me that you were exagerating a bit in stating "tons of
complaints". I have researched this newsgroup and the APD and several
aquatic plant forums. There has been a lot of historical concern raised
about and questions on tank dump. I even summarized everything I could find
and posted it to the APD. I have found far more questions and concerns
voiced than I did horror stories, which I found to be few and far between.
And many of the horror stores seemed to deal with systems without needle
valves.

The regulator I use and like is $44 - not "well over $100 for this high
pressure regulator". But maybe you are referring to the Home Depot "cheapo"
VALVES - not regulators - that some people use successfully in place of the
$20 buck (approx) Clippard needle valve you recommend/sell and others use.
I tried the Home Depot valves - two times and could not get it to work
without leaking. Then I went to the Clippard. I also found from research
that lots of people use the Clippard valve successfully - including various
APD members, Aquabotanic forum attendees and people like Tom Barr.

Frankly I just don't know much about the regulator you sell. And I tend to
go which what has worked for me and from recommendations from people who are
independent and whose opinion I trust. I have heard very little from happy
users of the fixed pressure regulator you sell. It is not clear to me
whether it has been very successful in the market. clearly the Clippard
has.

Frankly I think there may well be a better needle valve than the clippard -
for comparable or less money - as noted on my web site. I just haven't had
time to research it further or try it out. It is the Tunze valve. See info
on it in my web site. Note that one link is to your own Aquabotanic forum
where I first learned about this valve.

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/...mendations.htm

Bob Alston

High pressure CO2 reference: