Old 30-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Rod Runnheim

Default Metal Halide lighting problems

Hi gang!

I purchased 2 metal halide pendants 2 years ago with electronic ballasts.
One of the ballasts works (lights) 99% of the time. The other fails to
light at 3 times a week. I even tried swapping in an IceCap ballast and it
fails as well! (Not to mention 2 other replacement ballasts I had shipped
to me).

The ballasts are 175W electronic. The bulb is a Hamilton 6500K. Since so
many ballasts are consistently failing, is it likely that the bulb is just
too hard to light consistently? If so, is there a bulb someone would
recommend as a replacement?

Thanks!

Rod

Old 13-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Rod Runnheim

Rod Runnheim wrote:

Hi gang!

I purchased 2 metal halide pendants 2 years ago with electronic

ballasts.
One of the ballasts works (lights) 99% of the time. The other fails to
light at 3 times a week. I even tried swapping in an IceCap ballast and

it
fails as well! (Not to mention 2 other replacement ballasts I had

shipped
to me).

The ballasts are 175W electronic. The bulb is a Hamilton 6500K.

Since so
many ballasts are consistently failing, is it likely that the bulb is

just
too hard to light consistently?

Lamp can be faulty just as a ballast could or that kind of bulb just

doesn't
get along with IceCap.

That seems to be the case.

I don't know why aquarists are crazy about electronic HID ballasts. If

energy
savings were that great, commercial users would be the first one to jump

on it
such as gas stations and city Public Works only if there's no compromise

in
reliability.

Because they are both low energy and quite. The second being the most
important given my current living situation.

The benefit of electronic fluorescent ballast is proven that dominate new
installation and many old installations are being replaced with electronic
ballasts, but this isn't the case with electronic HID ballasts. Doesn't

this
tell you something?

That I should become a card carying member of the HID industry maybe?

For reliability and longevity I'd stick with a good commercial ballast

like
this:
http://www.advancetransformer.com/ec...0084100223.pdf

I'll check it out.

If so, is there a bulb someone would
recommend as a replacement?

Maybe try a new bulb of same kind.

Of the two ballasts, one lights either bulb all of the time. The second
ballast is having trouble with both bulbs all of the time. It's been
suggested thay I try a different bulb (brand of), and that seems the most
viable option, especially now that I have 3 ballasts anyway. If that
doesn't pan out I'll go with a standard ballast.

Rod

Old 14-06-2003, 04:32 AM

Maybe try a new bulb of same kind.

Of the two ballasts, one lights either bulb all of the time. The second
ballast is having trouble with both bulbs all of the time. It's been
suggested thay I try a different bulb (brand of), and that seems the most
viable option, especially now that I have 3 ballasts anyway. If that
doesn't pan out I'll go with a standard ballast.

Rod

Rod, I've heard so so things about older Ice Cap E MH ballast. Reef
friends had some serious issues with these.

But the issue should be fixed at this point(I would hope), especially
driving the common 6500K bulb.
I used the Blue line ballast from Champion and was 100% satisfied with
them. Well made, did well.

You can try changing out the MH with a 5000K or a 10000K bulb. Both
are 40-60$ ea though.

Regards,
Tom Barr