Old 03-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Jeremy Pemberton

Default Help with Amazon swordplant (its stemming!)

Hi,
I have an amazon swordplant (Echinodorus grisebachii, I believe) and
recently it decided to sprout a stem/runner and headed to the surface
with it. Now, a week after, it has sprouted 2-3 leaves in three
separate parts of the stem.

My concern is whether the plant is not receiving enough light and
for this reason sent a runner up, and also whether the stem will take
"energy" away from the main plant and kill it (had this happen with
another species).

If you would like to take a look, I have put a couple of photos up
temporarily at http://www.polarpaper.com/roomtank/

Would very much appreciate your comments.

Tank is 65 galons, pH is 5 (yeah a bit acidy -but the fish and
plants are doing great!), temperature is around 28 °C (82 °F) all day,
swordplant leaves are 8.5" long, lighting is a single gro-lux
flourescent 12 hours a day, ground beneath the swordplant is a thin
layer of stones then a thin layer of black volcanic soil (I'm in Costa
Rica) and finally two thick layers of stones, directly above the
swordplant is a very rare plant with almost flourescent pink leaves
(you get a glimpse of it in the photos), can't say what it is, but it
does significantly reduce the light reception for the Echinodorus.

Jeremy
Old 03-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Tasslehoff

That my friend is a new daughter plant. Congratulations. Wait until it
grows a few roots and then you can simply cut the runner which is connecting
it to mother grisebacchi and replant it somewhere else. Cheers.
I've got one of those baby's (miniature/compact amazon swords) as well which
has just started to send out a runner.

om...

Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Tasslehoff

[...]

I'm an idiot - please help me save my Amazon Sword don_tspamme Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 18-01-2007 09:32 PM
"Mirror Stemming" Ray Orchids 2 18-06-2006 04:45 PM
Swordplant baby-when to plant? Bob Freshwater Aquaria Plants 16 24-02-2004 01:27 PM
problem with amazon sword..please help Anthony Carabello Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 16-01-2004 09:47 AM
Help with Amazon swordplant (its stemming!) Jeremy Pemberton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 18-07-2003 11:16 AM