Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Aku, Shapeshifting Master Of Darkness

Default incadecent vs. luminecent

had a shop light 2x40 w setup for a few days. package says it's equal to
175 w incadecent. It's over a 55gal tank. Is this sufficent for
low/moderate plant growth? Can I grow High light plants in this tank? I've
got CO2 on the way. Right now I have 1 melon sword, a bunch of crypts, and
spirilla in there. Do I need more light? Not much room left at the top.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Ron Nelson

I think you'll probably want more light if you want to grow high light
plants... If it were mine I would at least go for 2x65 watt power compacts
or maybe even 4x55 watt. Since you already have co2 on the way you'll be OK
with more than 2 watts per gallon. Although the amount of growth that you
can get out of 3-4 watts per gallon is pretty scary!!!

HTH
Ron

Old 05-06-2003, 10:17 AM
news.so-net.com.hk

Hi,

I have a 2gal tank with a 28W light.DIY CO2.

What is once a planted garden has become a overgrown forest in 3 weeks.

I understand what your "pretty scarry" means

Good thing to note so far, I got pearling almost everyday.

Cheerios
Vincent

Old 05-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Aku, Shapeshifting Master Of Darkness

"Ron Nelson" wrote in
:

I think you'll probably want more light if you want to grow high light
plants... If it were mine I would at least go for 2x65 watt power
compacts or maybe even 4x55 watt. Since you already have co2 on the
way you'll be OK with more than 2 watts per gallon. Although the
amount of growth that you can get out of 3-4 watts per gallon is
pretty scary!!!

HTH
Ron

Is there any way I can get this kind of lighting on the cheap? I can't
afford those lighting kits they have at my lfs. Hoping there would be a
Lowes or Home Depot solution to this since they are pretty inexpensive.

Old 05-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Duncan A. McRae

Absolutely. I use Home Depot fixtures. I picked up a Coralife tube from
the LFS, but at $30 for a 36" tube, that's likely the last time I bother. I
also picked up a "plant gro" bulb, I think from Canadian Tire, for $6. I
went to a metal halide site which said something to the effect of, "unless
you're growing coral, regular lights from the Home Depot are all you need."
I had 80w over a 38g tank (50w "normal" bulb, 30w Coralife), and that
produced considerable plant growth. I'm now down to 60w, growth has slowed
but is still satisfactory, pearling everyday and streams of gas from nicks &
cuts.

Remember, eventually you'll have TOO MUCH flora in your tank. I enjoy
pulling cuttings from the 38g into my other tanks, but once they're all
planted sufficiently I'm going to have to start pruning them, or reduce my
light. Personally, I'd rather save the money and avoid the work! If you
have multiple tanks, consider putting high light in one of them, and using
the cuttings from that tank to populate the other tanks. I have moderate
lighting in the rest (usually about 1.7-2wpg), which promotes moderate
growth to deal with feesh waste, but doesn't have me "mowing the lawn" to
find them.

Let your tastes be your guide, young Grasshopper. Have fun!

Old 07-06-2003, 02:56 AM
James Ervin

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:51:24 GMT, "Aku, Shapeshifting Master Of
Is there any way I can get this kind of lighting on the cheap? I can't
afford those lighting kits they have at my lfs. Hoping there would be a
Lowes or Home Depot solution to this since they are pretty inexpensive.

I use four GE "daylight" bulbs in two $8.00 four foot fixtures. Total
cost was about $40. This grows hair grass and baby's tears like
weeds over my 55 gallon tank.

Take the stick in the eye out to reply.
Old 22-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Besides the great response from plants, I've found that the Daylight bulbs
are much too green and not enough brightness to bring out the colors in my
fish (more blue light). Unfortunately I haven't found a cheap 18,000K bulb
yet...and I still use the PowerGlo.

--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

"AC/DCdude17" wrote in message

James Ervin wrote:

I use four GE "daylight" bulbs in two $8.00 four foot fixtures. Total
cost was about $40. This grows hair grass and baby's tears like
weeds over my 55 gallon tank.

Take the stick in the eye out to reply.

That lamp is called GE Daylight Ultra or F40SP65 and it's like $6 a piece

at
Wal-Mart.