GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How long from this size bottle? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/31004-how-long-size-bottle.html)

Skunky 08-06-2003 12:02 PM

How long from this size bottle?

Having recently set up a pressurized CO2 system, I was wondering roughly how long the bottle should last. It's a 14lb bottle, I'm using around 30-40 bubbles per minute in a 300 litre tank.

Thanx

Iain Miller 09-06-2003 06:56 PM

"Skunky" wrote in message

Having recently set up a pressurized CO2 system, I was wondering roughly
how long the bottle should last. It's a 14lb bottle, I'm using around
30-40 bubbles per minute in a 300 litre tank.

Not sure, but ages! Suggest you weigh the bottle now & then again
periodically to track its use. If you don't have a Ph controller on it its
important that you know where it is - when the bottle gets nearly empty it
can "dump" and stick massive amounts of CO2 into your tank & kill
everything...I'd change it when you reckon there is 1-2lbs of CO2 left in
it.

I have a 7lb bottle on my 90USG tank that's keeping the CO2 at 15-20ppm &
that's been on there since about November....my guess is you should get
12-18 months out of it at least.

rgds

Alex R 10-06-2003 07:32 AM

"Iain Miller" wrote in message

"Skunky" wrote in message

Having recently set up a pressurized CO2 system, I was wondering roughly
how long the bottle should last. It's a 14lb bottle, I'm using around
30-40 bubbles per minute in a 300 litre tank.

Not sure, but ages! Suggest you weigh the bottle now & then again
periodically to track its use. If you don't have a Ph controller on it its
important that you know where it is - when the bottle gets nearly empty it
can "dump" and stick massive amounts of CO2 into your tank & kill
everything...I'd change it when you reckon there is 1-2lbs of CO2 left in
it.

What I keep hearing is that a CO2 dump won't occur if you have a needle
valve installed. Some people have had CO2 dumps with only a diffuser after
the regulator, but I don't think they paid attention to the high pressure
reading when the CO2 ran out, or didn't know that a dump would happen.
Secondly, you don't need to weigh the cylinder to find out when the CO2 is
low. The high-pressure gauge will start to drop when there is no more liquid
CO2.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Chuck Gadd 11-06-2003 07:32 AM

How long from this size bottle?

Secondly, you don't need to weigh the cylinder to find out when the CO2 is
low. The high-pressure gauge will start to drop when there is no more liquid
CO2.

I agree, especially with a BIG co2 tank. The larger the cylinder, the
more CO2 gas will remain in the tank when the pressure starts to drop.
With my 5lb tank, it lasted a day or so. With my 10lb, it was still
stable almost a week after the pressure started dropping.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua