Old 13-06-2003, 05:08 PM
David

Default Tankmates for my planted aquarium

Hello all,

I have a very low tech, planted aquarium with easygrwoing plants like
wisteria, bacopa, banana plants etc. In the tank I have about 12 Black
Widow Tetras, and 3 Buenes Aries Tetras. It is a 46 Gallon Bowfront Tank.

Most of the fish are never seen except for feeding time, and hang out hiding
in the rocks, wood and plants I have set up.

Can anyone recommend some good tankmates for these fish. Ideally I wanted
Angel fish, but I think the tetras will fin nip. Would like something
larger than the tetras and be mid to top dwellers. Thanks in advance.

Old 13-06-2003, 05:08 PM
RedForeman

some smaller cichlids???

Rams are good in planted tanks, if your water is soft and ph is near 5.5 - 7

Old 13-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Graham Ramsay

"David" wrote
Hello all,

I have a very low tech, planted aquarium with easygrwoing plants like
wisteria, bacopa, banana plants etc. In the tank I have about 12 Black
Widow Tetras, and 3 Buenes Aries Tetras. It is a 46 Gallon Bowfront Tank.

Most of the fish are never seen except for feeding time, and hang out hiding
in the rocks, wood and plants I have set up.

Can anyone recommend some good tankmates for these fish. Ideally I wanted
Angel fish, but I think the tetras will fin nip. Would like something
larger than the tetras and be mid to top dwellers. Thanks in advance.

I had Buenos Aires Tetras and had to take them back
after a week. They munched on my plants big time,
especially my Bacopa. Years ago I had Black Widow
Tetras and had to take them back as they de-finned
my Guppies, you may be okay with such a large shoal.
How about some Gouramis, (T. trichopterus), bit bigger
than what you've got now but not too large. Can take
care of themselves in a community tank and come in
various colours. Cheap and widely available.

--
Graham Ramsay
Blairgowrie (UK)

Old 13-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Rainbowfish, particularly Melanotaenia praecox and bosemani.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 13-06-2003, 07:54 PM
Jim Brown

David wrote in message
Hello all,

I have a very low tech, planted aquarium with easygrwoing plants like
wisteria, bacopa, banana plants etc. In the tank I have about 12 Black
Widow Tetras, and 3 Buenes Aries Tetras. It is a 46 Gallon Bowfront Tank.

Most of the fish are never seen except for feeding time, and hang out

hiding
in the rocks, wood and plants I have set up.

Can anyone recommend some good tankmates for these fish. Ideally I wanted
Angel fish, but I think the tetras will fin nip. Would like something
larger than the tetras and be mid to top dwellers. Thanks in advance.

Those BA tetras can definitely be nippers.
Without any details of your water, it's hard to narrow down suggestions.
Size being a consideration, along with the ability to exist with your
present population, you could look further into livebearers (but not
mollies), larger characins, barbs, or catfish. If a cichlid is wanted,
check out the rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa), festivums
('Cichlasoma' festivum), and the whole groups of Geophagus and Aequidens.

Jim

Old 13-06-2003, 10:32 PM
JudyK

I have to put in my vote for Rosy Red Minnows. I have 3 and they are
very interesting. Maximum size about 2-2 1/2 inches. They don't seem
to eat plants. Interesting mating habits. The male guards the eggs.

http://www.jumaka.com/aquarium/rosyreds.html

Judy
Old 14-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Pete

I have a small school of rosy red minnows in my 55 gallon tank. I really
like them. They sell them for 10 -15 cents each as feeder fish.

Pete

om...

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Sherry Michael Weller

Those BA tetras can definitely be nippers.
Without any details of your water, it's hard to narrow down suggestions.
Size being a consideration, along with the ability to exist with your
present population, you could look further into livebearers (but not
mollies), larger characins, barbs, or catfish. If a cichlid is wanted,
check out the rainbow cichlid (Herotilapia multispinosa), festivums
('Cichlasoma' festivum), and the whole groups of Geophagus and Aequidens.

Jim

I ADORE Geophagus, but some can be serious diggers! (Geophagus means
'earth eater!'). Not plant friendly.

How about some cherry barbs? Rainbowfish? Hatchets for surface fun?