Old 13-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jak Crow

Default Lighting suggestions?

I currently have a 50gal tank w/ glass hood and with one SpetraMax
strip light in a generic 48" tank fixture. Since adding a second
single bulb fixture wouldn't work very well size-wise and double and
triple fixtures can be expensive, I was thinking of getting a double
shop light (with a commercial ballast so intensity should be fine) and
hanging it above the tank in conjunction with the hood light. The
hood light would being running a Triton buld, and the shop light would
have the SpectraMax and a GE Aqua-Glow. Would this be a decent
lighting setup? Any suggestions on how low/high to hang the shop
light?

Old 15-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Jak Crow

Huh. I guess not...

Old 15-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Rex Grigg

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:19:33 -0700, Jak Crow
wrote:

Hanging a shop light over your tank is going to be a great way to
light the room and a lousy way to light the tank. Shop lights are one
of the most inefficient ways to get light into a tank. The diffuser,
I refuse to call it a reflector, is very poor at directing light
straight down. You would be better off going to AH Supply and
getting a 2x55 watt upgrade kit and installing it in your strip light.
Of course now that I have mentioned a company and given you some
advice someone is going to accuse me of spamming the group.

I currently have a 50gal tank w/ glass hood and with one SpetraMax
strip light in a generic 48" tank fixture. Since adding a second
single bulb fixture wouldn't work very well size-wise and double and
triple fixtures can be expensive, I was thinking of getting a double
shop light (with a commercial ballast so intensity should be fine) and
hanging it above the tank in conjunction with the hood light. The
hood light would being running a Triton buld, and the shop light would
have the SpectraMax and a GE Aqua-Glow. Would this be a decent
lighting setup? Any suggestions on how low/high to hang the shop
light?

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)
Old 15-06-2003, 06:42 AM
Jak Crow

wrote:

Hanging a shop light over your tank is going to be a great way to
light the room and a lousy way to light the tank. Shop lights are one
of the most inefficient ways to get light into a tank. The diffuser,
I refuse to call it a reflector, is very poor at directing light
straight down. You would be better off going to AH Supply and
getting a 2x55 watt upgrade kit and installing it in your strip light.
Of course now that I have mentioned a company and given you some
advice someone is going to accuse me of spamming the group.

I would prefer to use my existing bulbs

Are you sure that 2x55 kit would fit into the hood? It's a 48" Perfecto
fixture that came with the tank.

Old 15-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Rex Grigg

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 22:41:58 -0700, Jak Crow
wrote:

I'm pretty sure it would fit. The only question would be the
reflectors. And if you go to the AH Supply web site you can get the
measurements of the reflectors and check. Why do you want to keep the
existing bulbs? They don't provide enough light.

Old 16-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Jak Crow

wrote:

I'm pretty sure it would fit. The only question would be the
reflectors. And if you go to the AH Supply web site you can get the
measurements of the reflectors and check. Why do you want to keep the
existing bulbs? They don't provide enough light.

Looking at the ah stuff, the kit would work. I wanted to keep my existing
bulbs, because I just paid for them . Anyways, I've decided to go for a
second single bulb tank strip and seeing how the tank is with 80 watts of
light. I have a lot of easy and moderate care plants, then later getting a
couple of those retrofit kits.

suggestions for cheap lighting SJS0678 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 08-07-2004 06:05 PM
Lighting Question -length and interrupted lighting JHudson Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 13-12-2003 06:32 AM
"Artifical" lighting -- Any successes? Jo Edible Gardening 16 08-02-2003 05:31 AM
Indoor Lighting-System news Orchids 12 06-02-2003 04:43 AM
Agro Lighting, good?? Maurizio Leo Bonsai 0 27-01-2003 05:33 PM