Old 14-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Leandra

Default Greens! =)

Hi all,

I'm very much into environmentally friendly alternatives. And a
seriously considering putting together somesort of solar assisseted
lighting system for my tank.

Just wondering if anyone else has other green ideas or tips for fish tanks.

Leandra =)

Old 14-06-2003, 04:44 PM

Leandra wrote in message . au...
Hi all,

I'm very much into environmentally friendly alternatives. And a
seriously considering putting together somesort of solar assisseted
lighting system for my tank.

Just wondering if anyone else has other green ideas or tips for fish tanks.

Leandra =)

I saw a solar tracking lens that gathers and points the light
anywhere into your house, cost about 3000-4000$ and then you need to
install it and place a large Observatory looking things on your roof.
But , it does't use much electric. Monolith Marine Monsters carried
it.

Also use high efficiency lighting and don't use more than 2w/gal. Use
wastewater efficicently to water your garden/plants etc. Buy bulk
fert's, reduces packaging, feed spirulinia algae to fish, compost
plant trimmings. Use filtration with good efficicency like Canister
filters(Good flow rates/bio media volume and easy to deal with).

There are many other little things one can do. I catch native fish for
my tanks.

There are many levels you can approach this from. Electric is just one
of them. Perhaps the most useful are the ideas that lower intital
cost, running cost, make it easier on the owner.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 14-06-2003, 10:20 PM
RedForeman

I'm very much into environmentally friendly alternatives. And a
seriously considering putting together somesort of solar assisseted
lighting system for my tank.

In general, I don't like greenies, because of personal opinions, treehuggers
driving their vehicles to protest that a forest is in danger of pollution
from a nearby highway, leads me to think, they see things too differently
for me to ever agree on their views, but this isn't a politics group, so
allow me my opinion, I'll never bring it up again....

What I do have to offer is this, in industrial installations, they use fiber
optic cable to capture light fromthe roof using mirrored bowls... that fiber
cable is insulated and routed to where it is to be used, and using a special
made reflector, is split several times inside a coupling junction and the
smaller branches of fiber are directed specifically where they are
needed....

What I heard, is one .2mm fiber can carry more light for a longer distance
without losing it's potency more efficiently than a MH bulb can put out in
one spot... an apples to apples comparison was done, and they proved that
the use of the sun capture cables, is extremely viable and will prove to
save big buildings and such $10ks a month in lighting bills.... I do
remember they use flourescent and fiber as 50% of their lights during night
and bad weather.... the energy gets stored in capacitors and discharges very
slowly... the one example they gave was to light this one building it costed
like $450 a day and with the fiber, only costed $7.50 using 100% fiber....
they guessed that someday, solar will make a comeback and this method while
real expensive now, will drop and begin making a residential debut in a few
years... so there is hope....

sorry to go on, but it was coming back to me as I typed....

Old 16-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Zion Hill

I float crude oil on the surface of the tank and light it. It makes a nice
amount of light and lasts a long time.

Old 17-06-2003, 03:32 AM

Another idea to have a pond outside or on a porch.
I've kept two natural sunlight tanks but this tough sometimes.
Getting enough light is tough, it you have a greenhouse or a sun room
this is great. I've added CO2 to these tanks and they faired okay. But
if the tank only gets 1-2hours a day etc, it's not going to do too
well unless there's lots of indirect light. A hybrid light set up
which uses some PC lights along with mostly sun light is a good
method. Deep substrates were used.

Thermoelectric chillers(no freon!!Your car, home and frig next!),
solar fiber optic lighting/passive solar designs, PC lights, water
usage(No need for RO and wastewater etc, using it water the plants
around the yard garden etc). While some are cheaper, a few are not.
But they are headed that way, there is no denying that.

That's the cool thing about conservation/environment, its a great
market and it reduces operating costs. It's a win win for both the
consumer and therefore ultimately the companies/market. Adding less
impact on the environment is even a better sale.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Old 18-06-2003, 09:40 AM
Leandra

Thanks! Some helpful hints there... I will investigate. =)

Old 19-06-2003, 09:20 PM
RedForeman

what do you bet she'll never come back???om...
I float crude oil on the surface of the tank and light it. It makes a nice
amount of light and lasts a long time.

Texel Greens PRIORPARK17 United Kingdom 2 05-04-2003 01:32 PM
Greens Karen Texas 9 20-03-2003 06:56 AM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 08:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 01:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 11:37 PM