Old 14-06-2003, 09:44 PM
SlimFlem

Default back from 2 week absence....clown loaches have very small amount of ick, what should i do?

Well, my tank was perfect when I got back. My neighbor did exactly what the
instructions said and there were no problems. A lot of my sag and val and
crypts grew to the top of the tank and the dwarf ones multiplied and
thickened up like crazy. before i left, I added 2 Farowellas...either they
are really really good at eating algea, or the elimination of CO2 and the
light reduction did not allow algea to grow. there was not even the normal
amount on the glass when i got back

My clown loaches have a very small amount of ick..maybe 4 or 5 specks each.
no one else seems to have it. what should i do? i just noticed this as i
was writing. i did a water change this morning and started my CO2 again and
added some PMDD. that is it. there were no power losses while I was gone.
they are acting like they usually do, eating well and swimming all the time

thanks for the help.

Old 15-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Raise the temperature to 84 F and start medicating with Maracide.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old 15-06-2003, 02:20 PM
SlimFlem

just to make sure.....the Maracide will be safe for the plants? should I
use the full dosage or reduce it for the clown loaches? also here are the
other inhabitants:

2 large Angelfish
2 large Rainbowfish
5 Serpae
6 Red-Eye
2 Farowella
1 Whiptail
3 Otto
6 Zebra Danio

Will everyone else be ok with this med? Also, what does raising the temp
do?

thanks.

Old 15-06-2003, 03:32 PM
SlimFlem

i got some Maracide and treated the tank with just over half the stated
dosage and set my heaters to 84. i hope this stuff doesn't stain the
silicone joints or harm my plants.

Old 15-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Victor M. Martinez

SlimFlem wrote:
just to make sure.....the Maracide will be safe for the plants? should I

Yes.

use the full dosage or reduce it for the clown loaches? also here are the

Full dose. Maracide is safe for all fish and shrimp and snails.

Will everyone else be ok with this med? Also, what does raising the temp
do?

They should be fine. Scaleless fish are the most sensitive to medications.
Raising the temperature increases the metabolic cycle of the ich parasite,
thus rendering it vulnerable to the medication faster. This allows you to
treat for 5 days only.