Old 17-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Jody

Default New Substrate Product

Has anyone tried CaribSea's new substrate for planted tanks? It's called
Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate. Here's a link to the product
description http://www.carib-sea.com/eco%20fresh.jpg . It looks pretty
good, but I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with it.

Jody

Old 17-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Ryan H.

Great question, I was wondering the same thing. What do people thing
of this compared to 100% florite?

Ryan

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Moontanman

Sounds like a great product except for the courseness of the gravel. I prefer
fine sand, I've found that course gravel just isn't what most fish like. Now if
it was available as a fine sand it might be perfect.

Moon
remove nospam from e-mail to send to me, I grow trees in aquariums like bonsai.
I breed dwarf crayfish, great for planted community tanks. If you can get me a
shovelnose sturgeon fingerling (Scaphirhynchus platorynchus) no wild caught
please, contact me
Old 17-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Erik Leung

I installed it recently in a new setup - so far, what I can say is
that

a) the product is infinitely cleaner than Flourite or Onyx
b) it is much more attractive than Flourite
c) particles are graded, rounded and much smoother

No long-term report as I've only used it for a little over a month
now. Plus, I've combined it with other substrate amendments to make
things a bit more fertile. However from all appearances it looks like
a fine alternative to Flourite, Profile, FloraBase etc.

Erik Leung
http://www.e-aquaria.com

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
Eric Schreiber

"Jody" wrote:

Has anyone tried CaribSea's new substrate for planted tanks? It's called
Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate.

In addition to the effectiveness as a plant substrate, I'm interested
in knowing if the 'live bacteria' help at all. Does anyone know how
well the salt-water counterpart (which is also packaged wet) works?

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Old 18-06-2003, 12:39 AM
JEB

Jody wrote:
Has anyone tried CaribSea's new substrate for planted tanks? It's called
Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate. Here's a link to the product
description http://www.carib-sea.com/eco%20fresh.jpg . It looks pretty
good, but I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with it.

Jody

I'm thinking strongly about trying it for my next substrate, mixed with
dark sand. I've seen photos of a tank done that way, and I really like
the look. As far as how it does as a substrate, only time will tell. A
really superior substrate should last for years to compete with Flourite.

James

Old 18-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Jody

My LFS has just started carrying it. Funny, I called a month ago to see if
they could get it, and they said they had never heard of it and couldn't
order it. I'll forgive them since they are still the best place in town.

Anyway, I think I'm going to give it a try. If anyone is considering a soil
setup, please save yourself time and frustration and forget it. I have
given up on mine - it is messy, covers plants and fixtures, and has given my
water a yellow tint. Oh well, I HAD to try it, but will be switching
substrates very soon. This new stuff will give me the dark color I want,
and it is made for plants.

Jody

"Erik Leung" wrote in message
om...
I installed it recently in a new setup - so far, what I can say is
that

a) the product is infinitely cleaner than Flourite or Onyx
b) it is much more attractive than Flourite
c) particles are graded, rounded and much smoother

No long-term report as I've only used it for a little over a month
now. Plus, I've combined it with other substrate amendments to make
things a bit more fertile. However from all appearances it looks like
a fine alternative to Flourite, Profile, FloraBase etc.

Erik Leung
http://www.e-aquaria.com

. com...