GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   snail control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/32595-snail-control.html)

Christopher 17-06-2003 03:56 PM

snail control

whats the best loach to put in an african cichlid tank to control the
snails?
a puffer is out since I have invertebrates once again
preferably a loach that is colorful and won't get too big.

VoskV 17-06-2003 04:20 PM

snail control

ink.net...

Hmmm . . check out http://loaches.com :)

Jeff Dantzler 17-06-2003 05:44 PM

snail control

In rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids VoskV wrote:
"Christopher" wrote in message
ink.net...
whats the best loach to put in an african cichlid tank to control the
snails?
a puffer is out since I have invertebrates once again
preferably a loach that is colorful and won't get too big.

Hmmm . . check out http://loaches.com :)

And maybe GOOGLE.COM, too.

This topic comes up here every other week it seems...

Yo-yo loaches work well as do clowns. However they both tend to prefer
softer water than that found in african tanks. I'm sure there are some
african molluscovores (sp?)--maybe ameteur or another africanophile can
fill you in.

JLD

bengrimm99 17-06-2003 07:43 PM

snail control

"Christopher" wrote in message
ink.net...
whats the best loach to put in an african cichlid tank to control the
snails?
a puffer is out since I have invertebrates once again
preferably a loach that is colorful and won't get too big.

I had 3 clown loaches that I got for that purpose. They didn't catch on
right away, but a month or so after I got them, I went on vacation and after
being gone for a week, all the snails were gone. Unfortunately, I think the
loaches have fallen prey to cichlid aggression (2 dead in the last couple
weeks). The last one seems to be ok, no one picking on him or anything, but
you never know with cichlids...one day everything's fine and then the loach
goes somewhere he shouldn't and becomes some cichlid's #1 target. Welcome to
Thunder Dome!

Rene Krogh 18-06-2003 11:08 PM

snail control

"Christopher" skrev i en meddelelse
ink.net...
whats the best loach to put in an african cichlid tank to control the
snails?
a puffer is out since I have invertebrates once again
preferably a loach that is colorful and won't get too big.

You doesn´t say if it is a malawi or tanganyika tank you have. If it is a
tanganyika you should look at neolamprologus tretocephalus instead of a
loach. This ciclid are from tanganyika, and is a super snail eater. I must
repeatadly add snails to the tank, in order to feed the fish.

Regards
René

www.int.ikola.dk