GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Horse face loach diet (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/32950-horse-face-loach-diet.html)

Djay 19-06-2003 07:23 AM

Horse face loach diet

I've had a "Horseface loach" for over a year and I've never really known
what its diet has been. My daughter mentioned today that "we really don't
have many snails anylonger." I really don't know the dietary habits of this
loach. He/she is very shy and buries herself in the sand when startled.
This loach has actually just had it's head above the substrate, looking like
it is in ambush mode. Ambushing snails? I'm thinking that ambushing a
snail is kind of like the ultimate example of being patient!

I alternately feed algae discs and brine shrimp pellets to the bottom
feeders a few time per week, but I really have never seen this loach eat.
This is because my tank is in serious need of plant pruning... and she has
many places to hide... but that's another post.

Do any of you know the culinary habbits of this horse faced loach? Does it
munch on snails?

DJay

kclmymy 19-06-2003 06:08 PM

Horse face loach diet

I 2 have three since late Jan. this year, hardly see them around, still not
sure what they eat but the last time I check they put on some weight.

Like to hear from expert out there. TIA

cheers

kclmymy

nm2112 24-06-2003 10:32 AM

Horse face loach diet

I have two Horseface loaches and two Yo-Yo loaches in my aquarium the
Horseface eat everything I put in: tropical flakes, color flakes,
spirulina flakes, shrimp pellets, freeze dried tubifex worms, algae
discs, tropical tablets, tropical granules, bloodworms. One is about
5 inches and basically can been seen at all times the other one is
about 4 inches and hides out more times than not but comes out at
feeding time.

nm2112

Shannon Wheeler 26-06-2003 12:09 AM

Horse face loach diet

Mine seem to eat anything I put in. flakes, worms, shrimp, leftovers from
supper etc (as long as it makes it to the bottom).

And every loach I've ever had would eat snails - though little ones like
kuhlis couldn't break big shells.

Djay 26-06-2003 03:22 AM

Horse face loach diet

Guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing (feeding the same way). I still
don't know if she is the one responsible for the decline in snails though...
unless one day, I catch her in the act. Maybe I'll install a "moon bulb" so
I can observe the nocturnal behavior?

Thanks, DJay

a...