GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   CO2 bottle - how tall (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/32965-co2-bottle-how-tall.html)

Pete 19-06-2003 12:44 PM

CO2 bottle - how tall

I am considering going from yeast co2 to a 5# bottle. Can someone tell me
approximately how tall these bottles are with a regulator on them? Must
they be vertical; or can they lay on their side? I am trying to decide if I
have room.

Thanks,

Pete

Iain Miller 19-06-2003 12:44 PM

CO2 bottle - how tall

My 7lb bottle is about 19 ins tall including the cage round the valve gear.

CO2 bottles absolutely must be upright otherwise you get liquid CO2 into the
regulator which can/will damage it.

I.

RedForeman 19-06-2003 09:08 PM

CO2 bottle - how tall

my 5lb is pretty close to 15" without regulator, but the reg is positioned
higher... and yours will be different, so it varies several inches..

RedForeman 19-06-2003 09:08 PM

CO2 bottle - how tall

Kind of off-topic, but how is it any different to dissolve CO2 in water vs
adding water that is highly concentrated with CO2?

If you add, a bottle of carbonated water, it would be there, and gone as
fast.... because it doesn't totally dissolve into the water, with the water
and circulate....

In theory, Amano started out by putting one bottle in a 10g a day for
several weeks and it was then he realized pressurized CO2 would effectively
deliver the correct absorption of CO2 into the water....

The fountain drink machine carbonates the tap water, then mix with

concentrated
syrup to form ready to drink soda. If you can dissolve CO2 into water, I

don't
see why you can't mix concentrated CO2 water(seltzler water) in with tank

water
to achieve the same result as carbonation with gaseous CO2.

Ok, try this, take a 5g bucket, measure your pH... wait 4 hours measure pH
again...

for a double blind comparison, fill the bucket up again and measure pH for
baseline, this time, pour several bottles of your desire into it, measure pH
again.... wait 4 hrs, check pH again... my guess is the Co2 will make no
difference to it, because in 4 hrs, it's dissapated... gone... like it was
never there.... in a tank with circulation agitation, it's gone even
quicker....

Greg G. 19-06-2003 10:08 PM

CO2 bottle - how tall

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:05:45 -0400, "RedForeman"
wrote:

If you add, a bottle of carbonated water, it would be there, and gone as
fast.... because it doesn't totally dissolve into the water, with the water
and circulate....

In theory, Amano started out by putting one bottle in a 10g a day for
several weeks and it was then he realized pressurized CO2 would effectively
deliver the correct absorption of CO2 into the water....

What size bottle is that? I have used carbonated water to adjust the
pH of my replacement water and 1 bottle (2 liters) in 10 gallons would
push the pH so far down that it would kill everything. It has been my
experience that it takes about 1 cup per 8 gallons to adjust the pH
from a 7.8 - 8.2 solution down to 6.8 with a kH of 4.5 and gH of 5.

Ok, try this, take a 5g bucket, measure your pH... wait 4 hours measure pH
again...

for a double blind comparison, fill the bucket up again and measure pH for
baseline, this time, pour several bottles of your desire into it, measure pH
again.... wait 4 hrs, check pH again... my guess is the Co2 will make no
difference to it, because in 4 hrs, it's dissapated... gone... like it was
never there.... in a tank with circulation agitation, it's gone even
quicker....

Again, this is not borne out by my experience. I often airate the
mixture to thoroughly mix the hardening chemicals and the CO2 (club
soda) before introduction to my tank. It takes hours and hours to
make a measurable change in the pH level. I know this because when
first determining the mix levels, I added too much, and was shocked at
how FAST the soda water dropped the pH. It doesn't take much. And it
dissipates fairly slowly. I ended up re-mixing rather than wait
forever for the CO2 to dissipate.

YMMV,
Greg

Skunky 20-06-2003 02:23 PM

My 14 pounder stands 33"

RedForeman 24-06-2003 09:32 PM

CO2 bottle - how tall

In theory, Amano started out by putting one bottle in a 10g a day for
several weeks and it was then he realized pressurized CO2 would

effectively
deliver the correct absorption of CO2 into the water....

What size bottle is that? I have used carbonated water to adjust the
pH of my replacement water and 1 bottle (2 liters) in 10 gallons would
push the pH so far down that it would kill everything. It has been my
experience that it takes about 1 cup per 8 gallons to adjust the pH
from a 7.8 - 8.2 solution down to 6.8 with a kH of 4.5 and gH of 5.

If I remember the pics, they were 10oz bottles....