GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nutrafin CO2 Refill contents (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/33470-nutrafin-co2-refill-contents.html)

Pedro Pereira 22-06-2003 01:44 AM

Nutrafin CO2 Refill contents

Hi ...

Can someone tell me if there is any cheaper alternative to the Nutrafin CO2
refill kits ? Any "DIY" receipt ? ;)

Thanks

Pedro Pereira

Tony K 22-06-2003 04:20 AM

"Pedro Pereira" wrote in message
Hi ...

Can someone tell me if there is any cheaper alternative to the Nutrafin

CO2
refill kits ? Any "DIY" receipt ? ;)

Thanks

Pedro Pereira

It is my understanding that the 2 sachets for the Nutrafin reactor contain
yeast, the other one baking soda.
I simply use the sugar, tepid water and just less than 1/2 teaspoon of
normal bakers yeast, I get about 2 weeks of C02 with this. As yeast can vary
in its potency I would recommend just using 1/4 teaspoon of yeast until you
know how it will behave. Too much yeast and it will froth up into the tank!

Eric Schreiber 22-06-2003 04:44 AM

"Pedro Pereira" wrote:

Can someone tell me if there is any cheaper alternative to the
Nutrafin CO2 refill kits ? Any "DIY" receipt ? ;)

Yeast, sugar and water.

I use the Nutrafin diffuser with my own DIY CO2 system - a pair of two
liter bottles in weekly rotation. The recipe I use for a 2-liter
bottle is one liter of water, 1.5 cups of sugar, and teaspoon of yeast
(1/2 of a dry yeast packet).

I'm using common bakers yeast, though I find I get much better results
with Red Star brand than I did with Fleischams (spelling?). Eventually
I want to try brewer's yeast, since it's supposed to last longer, but
I haven't looked around for it yet.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Pedro Pereira 25-06-2003 01:32 AM

Nutrafin CO2 Refill contents

The basic Reagent it´s sugar ... 7 tablespoons
The activator is 1/4 teaspoon of Dry Yeast

The stabilizer looks like baking soda with something like amoniac (it smells
like it) 2 teaspoons ? I´m not sure of that... if someone knows, please tell
me ..

Thank You
Pedro Pereira

Eric Schreiber 25-06-2003 04:08 AM

"Pedro Pereira" wrote:

The stabilizer looks like baking soda with something like amoniac (it smells
like it) 2 teaspoons ? I´m not sure of that... if someone knows, please tell
me ..

The stabilizer isn't strictly necessary, but it is baking soda. In the
DIY recipe I gave, I've tried variations using 1 tsp of baking soda,
but I didn't notice any particular difference. Other people use it and
swear by it. Best suggestion, try it both ways and see what works for
you.

--
www.ericschreiber.com

Jak Crow 26-06-2003 06:56 AM

Nutrafin CO2 Refill contents

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:00:01 -0500, Eric Schreiber
wrote:

"Pedro Pereira" wrote:

The stabilizer looks like baking soda with something like amoniac (it smells
like it) 2 teaspoons ? I´m not sure of that... if someone knows, please tell
me ..

The stabilizer isn't strictly necessary, but it is baking soda. In the
DIY recipe I gave, I've tried variations using 1 tsp of baking soda,
but I didn't notice any particular difference. Other people use it and
swear by it. Best suggestion, try it both ways and see what works for
you.

The baking soda is supposed to extend the CO2 reaction from what I've
read.