Old 22-06-2003, 02:20 PM
LeighMo

Default Summer Tubbin'

I read this article about keeping tubs of fish and plants outdoors during the
summer:

http://tcoletti.tripod.com/take_it_outside.html

Has anyone done it? I have some empty plastic bins, maybe 15 to 25 gallons,
and I'd like to try it. Maybe I can grow some emersed plants, and move some
platies from my overcrowded 29 gallon outdoors.

He recommends planting plants bare-root, in gravel only, and doesn't say
anything about fertilizing. Will that work?

Leigh

Old 22-06-2003, 02:32 PM
James Williams

"LeighMo" wrote in message
I read this article about keeping tubs of fish and plants outdoors during

the
summer:

http://tcoletti.tripod.com/take_it_outside.html

Has anyone done it?

I'm on the rec.pond group and several people there do it.

I have about a half a dozen 5 gal buckets that I grow plants and fish
in. A few rooted, a few floating, a few guppies...

---

Old 23-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Toni

"James Williams" wrote in message
. com...

I'm on the rec.pond group and several people there do it.

I have about a half a dozen 5 gal buckets that I grow plants and fish
in. A few rooted, a few floating, a few guppies...

What is the upper ambient temperature limit here?
If my temps stay in the 90º's all day (and never get below 80 at night)
wouldn't the tub have to be placed in deep shade? A small container of water
can heat up very quickly in my climates sun- heck my pool water stays in the
mid 90º's F from July through September, and it's 20,000 gallons.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium.htm

Old 23-06-2003, 12:20 PM
James Williams

"Toni" wrote :

What is the upper ambient temperature limit here?
If my temps stay in the 90º's all day (and never get below 80 at night)
wouldn't the tub have to be placed in deep shade? A small container of

water
can heat up very quickly in my climates sun- heck my pool water stays in

the
mid 90º's F from July through September, and it's 20,000 gallons.

Well, I'm in central Florida. Some of mine are in sun, some are in
shade, some are set into the ground. The water does get quite warm in the
ones that are in the sun and not buried, but I think the heavy growth keeps
them shaded enough to keep the guppies alive. The ones in the shade get
morning sun enough to keep the plants alive

---

Old 24-06-2003, 10:44 PM
LeighMo

I'm on the rec.pond group and several people there do it.

Interesting. I'll have to look in over there. I figured pond folk would be
way beyond this kind of thing. g

I have about a half a dozen 5 gal buckets that I grow plants and fish
in. A few rooted, a few floating, a few guppies...

Thanks, good to know. I was afraid my bins were too small, but if you're doing
it in 5 gallon buckets...

I put a 15 gallon plastic tub out on my balcony. It gets mostly indirect
sunlight, with direct sunlight a few hours a day. I planted two baby Nymphaea
(one zenkeri, one daubenyana) in clay pots (plain gravel, with one Flourish tab
each) and sunk the pots in the tub. I also threw in a bunch of clippings and
some mulm from my tanks. And three juvenile sunset platies.

I'm thinking about adding a few ghost shrimp and maybe some snails later on.
Will they jump/crawl out of the tub, I wonder?

Of course, I have no idea what I'm going to do with all the plants and critters
in September, should this venture be successful...

Leigh

Old 25-06-2003, 02:08 PM
RedForeman

I put a 15 gallon plastic tub out on my balcony. It gets mostly indirect
sunlight, with direct sunlight a few hours a day. I planted two baby

Nymphaea
(one zenkeri, one daubenyana) in clay pots (plain gravel, with one

Flourish tab
each) and sunk the pots in the tub. I also threw in a bunch of clippings

and
some mulm from my tanks. And three juvenile sunset platies.

Are those plants aquatic or not???? Can one put non aquatic plants in pots
and place them in tubs???

I'm thinking about adding a few ghost shrimp and maybe some snails later

on.
Will they jump/crawl out of the tub, I wonder?

keep us informed....

Old 25-06-2003, 10:20 PM
LeighMo

Are those plants aquatic or not???? Can one put non aquatic plants in pots
and place them in tubs???

They are aquatic plants, from my fishtanks. Nymphaea species are water lilies.
You know, like frogs are supposed to like to sit on. :-)

keep us informed....

So far, so good. The water's looking a bit murky, but that might be because I
put so much mulm in. There's no measurable ammonia or nitrite. I don't see
the fish much, though. They hide at the bottom of the tub, under the plants,
whenever I look in.

Leigh

Old 26-06-2003, 04:21 PM
RedForeman

Are those plants aquatic or not???? Can one put non aquatic plants in
pots
and place them in tubs???

They are aquatic plants, from my fishtanks. Nymphaea species are water

lilies.
You know, like frogs are supposed to like to sit on. :-)

keep us informed....

So far, so good. The water's looking a bit murky, but that might be

because I
put so much mulm in. There's no measurable ammonia or nitrite. I don't

see
the fish much, though. They hide at the bottom of the tub, under the

plants,
whenever I look in.

been telling the better half to get a few of those baby blue rubbermaids for
awhile now... told her about this, came home yesterday to 3 of them on the
back porch... and she smiled when she asked what plants she could borrow...
I laughed as I told her there are plenty of plants at walmart... and
petsmart...

Old 27-06-2003, 01:56 AM
LeighMo

been telling the better half to get a few of those baby blue rubbermaids for
awhile now... told her about this, came home yesterday to 3 of them on the
back porch... and she smiled when she asked what plants she could borrow...
I laughed as I told her there are plenty of plants at walmart... and
petsmart...

LOL! Oh, come on. Surely you can spare some plants!

It's looking much better today. The water is is clear, and the plants seem to
be growing. The fish still dart for cover when I try to look in. All I see is
a swirl of mulm in their wake.

Leigh