Old 24-06-2003, 03:20 PM
halve

Default Setting up a planted mini aquarium

Im thinking of buying a AGA 7 gallon minibow. It comes with a hood
that I think is 15 watts. I am wondering if I can plant a few easy
low light plants in this and watch them grow? I would like to put only
a few small fish in it also. My goal would be to make it a very stable
mini ecosystem, with everything in it doing a job to keep it stable.
For other equipment I obviously need some substrate and gravel (what
kind?). A filter (what kind?), a heater (hagen 50w?). The other thing
I was thinking I might need is the hagen Co2 system and perhaps a
powerjet to keep tto give the water some current? What do you all
think?

Halve
Old 25-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Mary Alice Kropp

I have the 7 gallon minibow set up as a planted aquarium here on my desk. I
have Flourite as the substrate and nice piece fo driftwood that I siliconed
to the tank bottom to keep it from floating. I built a cork back and
attached it about 1.5" from the back wall. I use a Penguin mini filter and
the smallest heater Ebo Jager makes. They are both behind the backing, so
the tubes and wires are hidden. I also have a small Rio submergible pump
just in front of the backing to provide more water movement- I added this
after the tank was set up for a while because I didn't think there was
enough).

I stapled Java moss to the cork and it has grown in very nicely- covers the
wall quite well. I had a few stray bits of glossostigma that hitchhiked in
and are now producing a multitude of floating plants on the surface! The
main plants in this tank are crypts- several different varities, some Java
fern (Windelov) attached to the driftwood and R. indica in the back right
corner. I don't add CO2 to this tank, so the plants grow fairly slowly.
They do get fertilizer added 2x weekly (I use the Seachem line) and
Seachem's Excel for a carbon source, which I find works very well for this
small a tank.

The fish in it right now are 2 zebra danios and a female black swordtail.
The swordtail is going to move into my bigger tank and I want to add a few
more danios.

It's a fun little tank that doesn't take a lot of work or maintenance.

-Mak
http://www.thirtytwopaws.com/mak
Updates 6/22/03

Better to be occasionally cheated than perpetually suspicious.

It's more fun to color outside the lines.

Old 18-07-2003, 04:42 PM
SIBIETA

Hi, i have a 5gal tank (20liters), and i´d like to know how often you make
water changes. What type of light you use, and can you sepcify which and how
you fertilize the tank.
thlink.net...