Old 03-03-2003, 03:55 AM
C1000mg

Default My discus have their fins closed !!!!

My discus are with their fins closed all the time and some of them are no
coming out they are always hiding, I just got them 4 days ago, but before
that I had 2 nice snakeskin in the same tank but thay died because an
overdose of CO2, thanks to my Yeast DIY CO2 system, I change half of the
water and after 6 days I got 4 small ones, 2 snakeskin and 2 pigeon blood,
they are about 1,5" in a 33 gallons tank... can it be because bacterial
infection, or is just because they are new in the tank??? (the first pair
was nice looking after 2 days), and how much food should I feed them, frozen
food a mix of bloodworms and brine shrimp with Zoe (vitamin) and Garlic
Guard... 1, 2 or how many cube of frosen food???

Thanks

Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 AM
LeighMo

My discus are with their fins closed all the time and some of them are no
coming out they are always hiding, I just got them 4 days ago, but before
that I had 2 nice snakeskin in the same tank but thay died because an
overdose of CO2, thanks to my Yeast DIY CO2 system

DIY CO2 is not recommended with discus.

In fact, I'd recommend a pH controller for a planted tank that will be CO2
injected. Most fish don't need that fine a control over pH, but discus are so
darned delicate.

I know, there are people who keep discus in injected tanks without pH
controller. But they are generally pretty experienced -- with both discus and
planted tanks.

IMVHO, keeping discus in CO2-injected tanks is not for beginners.
Discus-keeping and plant-keeping are both pretty challenging on their own;
combined, it's a steep learning curve. And discus are so expensive.

Leigh

Old 04-03-2003, 12:16 AM
chip

maybe he is shy?

how about getting him a girlfriend to aclimate him a little bit more?

Old 05-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Iain Miller

"C1000mg" wrote in message
My discus are with their fins closed all the time and some of them are no
coming out they are always hiding, I just got them 4 days ago, but before
that I had 2 nice snakeskin in the same tank but thay died because an
overdose of CO2, thanks to my Yeast DIY CO2 system, I change half of the
water and after 6 days I got 4 small ones, 2 snakeskin and 2 pigeon blood,
they are about 1,5" in a 33 gallons tank... can it be because bacterial
infection, or is just because they are new in the tank??? (the first pair
was nice looking after 2 days), and how much food should I feed them,

frozen
food a mix of bloodworms and brine shrimp with Zoe (vitamin) and Garlic
Guard... 1, 2 or how many cube of frosen food???

What are the parameters of your water?
(Temperature/Kh/Gh/Ph/Nitrates/Nitrites etc etc etc.?)

rgds,

Iain

(who is having a very bad week with Discus having lost 4 to some mystery
illness that has got me and the LFS guys stumped (and who's water is as nice
as can be!))

Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 AM
Tony Wu

what is your tank temp and how often do u change water? if the discus
are not themselves, raising the tank temp to 30C and daily wc (or
increase your wc regime) is a good start and safe to do...
(30c may be high for your other fish)

feed more, more wc, feed less, less wc. I tends to feed them twice to
3 times a day when they are ~2". (but when in doubt, like what is
happening, feed less...)

what other fish are in the tank?

Butterfly from short-fins...... Reel Mckoi Ponds 0 21-07-2005 08:22 PM
warts on fins gunnar Ponds 2 01-05-2005 05:02 AM
Discus are awesome! Q: temperature for Discus? Bruce Geist Freshwater Aquaria Plants 7 22-04-2005 03:25 AM
High Salt - Shredded Fins ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 10-10-2003 10:22 PM
Black edges appearing on fins Robert Liles Ponds 6 19-04-2003 10:32 AM