Old 25-06-2003, 03:47 PM
James Williams

Default Leaving my algae in the dark

I am trying to control stubborn algae by darkening my tank, I have the
light off and tinfoil around the sides. How long should I expect it to take?
Does it really have to be that dark? Is the few minutes I have the lights on
to feed the fish a problem?

This is the third day and so far it doesn't look like there's any
change.

---

Old 25-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Connor Maltsberger

have you changed any of the water at all?
Old 25-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Liquid Sun

you might need to put black construction paper over the glass so little to
no light gets in at all.

Old 26-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Alan Silver

In article , James
Williams writes
I am trying to control stubborn algae by darkening my tank, I have
the light off and tinfoil around the sides. How long should I expect it
to take? Does it really have to be that dark? Is the few minutes I have
the lights on to feed the fish a problem?

This is the third day and so far it doesn't look like there's any
change.

When I did this some years ago, I was advised to block out ALL the
light. Use very thick paper and make sure you paper over all cracks.
Don't unwrap the tank for at least three days. Your fish will be fine,
so don't worry about feeding them. Leave the lights off too.

HTH

--
Alan Silver

Old 26-06-2003, 11:20 PM
James Williams

"Connor Maltsberger" wrote :

have you changed any of the water at all?

I had recently done a 1/3 water change, like three days before.

I've kept the tin foil on for four days now, I think I will take it off,
do another round of tests and then when I think the plants (the ones I want
to keep) have had time to recharge, do another change and a round of
darkness.

Maybe two weeks?

---

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 AM

Try using thick trash bags etc, cheap and big.

Turn off CO2, increase surface turn over, do 50% before and after
water changes and you should not need more than 3-5 days to beat it
back pretty good. Some algae will not be affected much, most will.
Trim off any left overs, dose well and keep dosing in the future/keep
the CO2 high etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 27-06-2003, 07:32 AM
Connor Maltsberger

I had an algae problem before that i dealt with by pulling up all my
plants, trashing the ones that didnt look like they were in decent
shape, rinsing and cleaning the other plants ina mild bleach
solution, and taking out my decorative rocks and cleaning them in the
solution too. After rinsing everything, doing a big water changes,
and sucking all the crap out of the substrate that i could find, I put
everything back in, and made sure my plants were outgrowing the algae
after that. Seemed to work fine for me, so it might be a little
easier than blanketing the whole tank!?!?

just a suggestion

Connor
Old 24-07-2003, 01:23 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

Tom,

You used to suggest to add good amounts of N and P to the darkened
tank. I followed your advice two times and it worked great. Now I
see that you just suggest 50% water changes before and after ther
black out. I bet that would work too, but adding N and P seemed to
work very well.

The plants accumulate the nutrients in the dark but the algae can't,
right? So a nice big water change after the blackout really starves
the algae that remained after the blackout. But the plants are fine
and ready to photosynthesise. At least that is how it's supposed to
work according to your previous advice, and that is what I have seen -
good results doing what you suggested it.

--Nikolay