GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is Watts per gallon. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/34510-re-what-watts-per-gallon.html)

Chuck Gadd 28-06-2003 01:45 AM

What is Watts per gallon.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:18:13 +1000, "Graham Broadbridge" graham at
peachy dot org wrote:

What is watts per gallon?

If I have 2 x 100 watt incandescent that is 200 watts.

If I have 2 x 38 watt flourescent tubes that is 76 watts.

The flourescent tubes output much more light in the correct spectrum.

It's not just the spectrum that is the difference.

Most of the energy of an incandescent light is turned into heat, not
light.

Most of the energy of a fluorescent light is turned into light.

Watts per gallon only applies to high-effiency lighting, such as
Fluorescent and Metal Halide.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua