Old 04-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Kevsmom2000

Default Heated substrate? Cable heaters?

I'm attempting to set up a 29g freshwater aqu. with live plants. I've read that
a heated substrate significantly improves ones chances of success ( general
health of plants, longevity etc.). Is this an overstatement, or should I invest
in cable heating elements? I should mention that an existing tank of duplicate
nature in an identical location in my home never goes below 74º - without the
help of a heating unit.

Thanks,
Danielle
Old 04-07-2003, 06:40 AM
Tasslehoff

*top posted*
IMO after you've got sufficient lighting and a decent CO2 injection/reactor
system then you can spend whatever's left towards substrate heating. IME my
unheated substrate 3' tank is basically whatever the room temp is. After
tearing out some flourite to transfer to my heated 4' tank the substrate 3'
tank substrate was a chilly 59F. So if your room temp never gets below 74F
I personally wouldn't bother with a substrate heater, but if you've got the
dough then go for it.

Cable saw TheManFromUtopia Lawns 2 05-02-2004 10:02 PM
Substrate & undergravel heaters Nemo Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 19-01-2004 06:46 PM
Hauling Uphill_Watch that Cable... jhultman Gardening 1 18-09-2003 06:32 PM
Was: Heated substrate? Kevsmom2000 Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 04-07-2003 04:32 PM
Soil Heating cable Chris United Kingdom 1 18-02-2003 02:49 PM