GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Comparison of Trace Mixes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/35849-comparison-trace-mixes.html)

[email protected] 08-07-2003 03:08 AM

Comparison of Trace Mixes

Hello all,

I recently came across a trace element mix in my local garden
supply/seed store produced by Whitmire Micro-Gen. Since the price is
only $1.50/lb as opposed to $6-$7/lb+ for mail order sources - I was
wondering what the experts here thought of the possibility of using
this for PMDD. Here is the breakdown and comparison to the
recommended trace mixture from the Krib website (Hopefully, this comes
through formatted the way it looks on my screen):

Whitmire(Chelated) Krib
Fe - 15% (3.75%) 7%
S - 12% 0%
Ca - 5% 0%
Mg - 3% 1.5%
Mn - 3% (0.75%) 2.0%
Zn - 1% (0.25%) 0.4%
Cu - 0.25% (0.06%) 0.1%
B - 0.1% 0.0%
Mo - 0.001% 0.05%

Note - The Sulphur in the Whitmire mix is from various sulfates.

Now my main questions/concerns:
- Should I use the soluble % breakdown or just the chelated totals
when comparing this to the recommended trace mixture.
- If this can be used, how should I compensate for the sulfates and
increased Fe contained in the mixture? Can I just halve the Trace Mix
called for?

- Steve