GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   LFS here is cluless (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/35988-lfs-here-cluless.html)

> 09-07-2003 05:08 AM

LFS here is cluless

Is there a source on the web to help me identify the plants that I bought?
The local LFS is basically clueless. I bought a few, just because they were
healthy looking, strong plants. Don't know if they are compatible with my
tank.

Do plants really have to come from a LFS? The plant we choose for the top
of our beta tank is just a nice leafy plant. Do aquarium plants have some
unique attributes?

Thanks
JOhn :-)

Rex Grigg 09-07-2003 06:08 AM

LFS here is cluless

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:00:30 GMT, "\(\(\(\\\" John Lange
\(\(\(\\\"" wrote:

Is there a source on the web to help me identify the plants that I bought?
The local LFS is basically clueless. I bought a few, just because they were
healthy looking, strong plants. Don't know if they are compatible with my
tank.

Do plants really have to come from a LFS? The plant we choose for the top
of our beta tank is just a nice leafy plant. Do aquarium plants have some
unique attributes?

Yes they do have unique attributes. Most important is they can grow
submerged. Many plants sold at clueless LFS are not true aquarium
plants. They will not grow submerged, they will just sit there and
slowly rot away.

Thanks
JOhn :-)

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)

Chuck Gadd 09-07-2003 10:20 AM

LFS here is cluless

\(\(\(\\\"" wrote:

Do plants really have to come from a LFS?

No, you can usually get better quality plants from other hobbyists.

The plant we choose for the top
of our beta tank is just a nice leafy plant. Do aquarium plants have some
unique attributes?

Yes, plants for the aquarium need to be aquatic plants. Normal plants
will die off rather quickly if submerged.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua

LeighMo 09-07-2003 12:44 PM

LFS here is cluless

Is there a source on the web to help me identify the plants that I bought?

www.tropica.com

www.aquaticplantdepot.com

Even though they are commercial sites, they have lists of plants with pictures
and info that are very useful references. Tropica is a big name in the planted
tank world, and their extensive plant catalog lists the origins, temp, pH,
lighting requirements, etc. for each plant. Pretty hand-drawn pictures, too.

However, Tropica is a European company, and if you're in the U.S., some of your
plants might not be listed at their site. That's where aquaticplantdepot.com
comes in. In addition, aquaticplantdepot.com might be an easier site for a
beginner to use. While Tropica organizes their plants alphabetically by
species name, AquaticPlantDepot.com organizes theirs by type (bunch, anubias,
lilies, miscellaneous, etc.), which might be easier for a newbie to navigate.
(Hint: if you don't see your plants in any of the aquarium categories, check
the "terrarium" section. A lot of the plants sold as aquarium plants in pet
stores are actually bog plants, and will not do well submersed in the long
term.)

Leigh

RedForeman ©® 09-07-2003 07:08 PM

LFS here is cluless

Is there a source on the web to help me identify the plants that I bought?

www.floridadriftwood.com is good... I've had some snails with some of their
stuff, but not a biggie for me...

The local LFS is basically clueless. I bought a few, just because they

were
healthy looking, strong plants. Don't know if they are compatible with my
tank.

They'll probably do ok as long as you've got all the essentials, light,
nutrients and CO2...(for a higher tech tank/plant)

Do plants really have to come from a LFS? The plant we choose for the top
of our beta tank is just a nice leafy plant. Do aquarium plants have some
unique attributes?

All aquatic plants grow, underwater... that's the biggest....

Anthony Wilson 23-07-2003 02:02 AM

LFS here is cluless

Too bad most of these companies don't ship outside of the USA, is there any
Canadian site that we canucks can use to get our plants.

jessie 23-07-2003 06:23 PM

LFS here is cluless

i've never ordered from them, but i keep meaning to. only one i've found in
canada

http://www.ottawaaquatics.com/

le.rogers.com...

Jim Brown 23-07-2003 09:03 PM

LFS here is cluless

Have you actually asked the US firms about shipping to Canada? As far as I
recall, Agriculture Canada has dropped the requirements for extreme
documentation for most plants. The ones not allowed would be those covered
by CITES or prohibited, like parrot's feather.

Jim