Old 09-07-2003, 06:56 AM
Cammie

Default lighting / plant questions

Okay, I'll get two 10W CF from work if you don't think it's too much. They
say that EACH 10W actually gives off 50 watts of light.

Where would that put me on the plant scale choosing low, medium to high
light plants?

Someone here mentioned in the past that Java Fern were the easiest and most
hardy plants. Do you also think they are what I should get and any other
suggestions for hardy plants for my light?

I know a good amount of aquarium stuff, but plants seem to be my weak
point. I have no green thumb in OR out of water I guess.

Thanks much,
Cammie

"Luca Brazi" wrote in message
om...
I don't think the bulbs would be too much light. Two 10 watt CF would
be just right for a 10 gal. and maybe a bit underpowered for a 20gal.
Get rid of the incandescents if you can. New light plus do it
yourself co2 plus Flourish (maybe some root tabs too) and I bet things
will take off (at the very least you'll get more interesting algae).
Personally, I've always found cabomba to be too finicky over the long
hall. You might want to start with something hardier then slowly swap
out to more delicate plants once you get the hang of balancing the
nutrient/light/co2 combo.

"Cammie" wrote in message

Yes I know I have very low light, I talked it over with you guys a few

weeks
ago. Unfortunately the tank combo with build on hood has only two 50W
incandelescent bulbs.

I don't know if those screw in mini compacts will fit in it, but I

haven't
tried either. IF they would fit, I think I'd have way too much light.

Do
they make fish sunglasses?

This is a link to the bulbs I want to try:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=9870

Do you think I could put one of these in and then just keep the other

the
incandelescent bulb, or just the one compact and the other side no bulb?

I'm at wits end here. I bought plants from thatfishplace and now within
only one month my Corkscrew Val look horrible and my Cabomba is almost

gone
(it seems to just disappear).

Cammie

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message
Cammie wrote:
What do you think of this system? Would it be okay for a 10 or 20

gallon
tank? It's so cheap I'm tempted to try it. I don't have a

technical
"planted" tank, but a handful of Cabomba and Spiral Val and they are

doing
so poorly even though I use Flourish. So what do you think of this

system
for a little help?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=8981

It works fairly well (search Google Groups for other threads on the
Nutrafin system). I know some people use just the diffuser with their

own
DIY bottles and mixes. However, considering the whole system on sale

right
now is only $6.50 more than just the diffuser, it might be worth it to

get
the whole system. One thing though, how much light do you have on the
tank? Adding CO2 and Flourish won't be much help unless the light is
sufficient.

Old 09-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Chuck Gadd

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 04:46:44 GMT, "Cammie"
wrote:

Okay, I'll get two 10W CF from work if you don't think it's too much. They
say that EACH 10W actually gives off 50 watts of light.

They are 10w each. The 50w crap is just marketing hype. They are 10w
fluorescents.

Chuck Gadd
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua
Old 09-07-2003, 11:08 AM
Poe Lim

Java Ferns are good hardy plants to have as they will tolerate quite a wide
range of lighting conditions. Keep your Vals; they will do much better when
you go for more light, and you may in fact need to get rid of some (they
spread...).

Cheers,
Poe