Old 10-07-2003, 11:20 AM
cthulhu

Default Hagen's NEW CO 2 System

I am thinking of buying Hagen's CO2 system which, in £s, is inexpensive :
£15 approx.

I see that there are kits costing £100-150 with more complex valve systems.

What is the disadvantage of the lest pricey Hagen kit, if any.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2003, 12:20 PM
Tony K

"cthulhu" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying Hagen's CO2 system which, in £s, is inexpensive :
£15 approx.

I see that there are kits costing £100-150 with more complex valve

systems.

What is the disadvantage of the lest pricey Hagen kit, if any.

Thanks in advance

1) Depending on the size of your aquarium, 1 unit might not be enough. Hagen
recomend: 1 unit for up to 20 US gal, 2 units for up to 40 US gal, 3 units
for up to 60 US gal.

2) Hagen use a yeast fermentation process to generate CO2, can be affected
by room temperature etc, therefore the CO2 supply may not be as consistent
as cylinder and valve systems. I am having problems with this at the moment
with a very cold winter here in the southern hemisphere with out central
heating the CO2 only starts to generate when I get home from work and heat
the house up.

3) You have replenish the system every few weeks.

Having said that I have 2 of them in my tank and am very pleased with the
system, the plants have responded well.

Old 23-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Anthony Wilson

I heard from my LFS that the recommendation on the product is a little
understated, he told me that someone is using 1 unit on a 65 gallon tank and
the tank is really blooming. I am thinking of getting 1 for my 50 gallon
tank to see what it does. Just MHO

:

Old 24-07-2003, 06:32 AM
stir-fry

I put one of them in my 65 gallon tank and found it wasn't having much
of an effect on things.
I have since added another one, and while i'm seeing a bit of an
improvement, I am considering going up to 3 in the upcoming months.

btw, to the original poster, someone figured out the recipe that hagen
is using and so there is no need to buy the replacement packages if
you take his advice. (they are 10 bucks for 3 refills at my LFS in
caanda)
I don't have the message saved, but maybe someone will be kind enough
to look it up, or to repost the info