Old 03-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Aqua

Default How dangerous are these lights to human eyes?

How dangerous are these aquarium lights (5000K to 10000K) to human
eyes? I am (seeing) exposed to these lights very closely (6 to 12")
for minimum of 10 to 30 seconds daily.

Thanks
Dominic

Old 04-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Velvet

Yes, they do, however based on the reaction of a bead bracelet I have (which
changes from white to bright colours depending on strength of sunlight, and
is reactive to the UV in sunlight) it's about the same level as on a fairly
overcast day in winter.

Of course, I can't guarantee it's the same type of UV they react to, that's
in both the actinic and the sunlight. My light is a 25Watt(ish) Actinic,
flourescent, 30" tube.

Velvet

"Christopher Beeckler" wrote in message
yeah don't the actinic lights spit out UV light?
om...

Old 04-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Nsty N8

How dangerous are these aquarium lights (5000K to 10000K) to human
eyes? I am (seeing) exposed to these lights very closely (6 to 12")
for minimum of 10 to 30 seconds daily.

Thanks
Dominic

Hmmm....
Well, I guess you could wear polarized sunglasses.You know, like what the
fishing pros Jimmy Houston and AL Linder wear.
Or, if you want to be really safe you could wear tanning goggles.Carefull, you
might prune fingers, fish and/or filter lines.

N8

Old 06-03-2003, 12:27 AM
Christopher

Yeah polarized lenses cut light that is polarized (has an orientation in
space) this means it cuts all light in that direction. Although if you were
wearing polarized sunglasses they would have built in UV A/B protection.
"Haywire" wrote in message
5.104...
Uhm, polarized lense cut glare, not UV, for that you need a glass lense a
coating to block the UV A and B bands.

(Nsty N8) wrote in
: