Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Duncan A. McRae

Default No more CO2

I've started pulling so many plants out of my tanks that I just can't
justify the CO2. It was great while the plants were getting established,
but now that they're becoming annoying I've decided not to use my generators
anymore. I built them all from juice bottles, so it's not a huge loss by
any means. I haven't filled a generator in perhaps 3 or 4 weeks.

If anybody REALLY wants clippings, you can pay me in sugar and yeast I
have a bunch, few of which I can identify -- maybe I'll post a picture or
two for the local spend-thrifts, and if you like I'm in Mississauga, nearly
Oakville, just off Lakeshore.

Cheers;
Duncan

Old 13-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Bob Alston

Take a look at these articles:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

http://www.ee.pdx.edu/~davidr/discus/articles/co2.html

--
Bob Alston
918.494.4913

http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/
"cthulhu" wrote in message
[...]

---
Bob's Dell 4400 - Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Old 15-07-2003, 01:53 AM
Alex R

"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
I've started pulling so many plants out of my tanks that I just can't
justify the CO2. It was great while the plants were getting established,
but now that they're becoming annoying I've decided not to use my

generators
anymore. I built them all from juice bottles, so it's not a huge loss by
any means. I haven't filled a generator in perhaps 3 or 4 weeks.

I wouldn't say that's a very good idea. Unless you have low lighting,
growing plants without extra CO2 will likely lead to problems. If the plants
are limited by CO2 (or anything other than light) they'll be unable to
outcompete the algae, which will most likely take advantage of these
conditions. Without CO2 injection, your plants will not only grow slower,
they will not look as healthy as they do with it. Most tanks with CO2
injection have fast plant growth, and that's what hobbyists are trying to
achieve with CO2. If you want to slow down plant growth, reduce the lighting
instead of CO2, or get slower-growing plants.
__
Alex
pcalex (at) hotpop.com

Old 18-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Yog-Sothoth

How do you build a CO2 generator with a juice bottle?
"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hmmmmm. Perhaps this explains the recent explosion of hair algae....

et...

Old 20-07-2003, 12:22 AM
Duncan A. McRae

I believe another post in this thread contained links to two sites, one of
which I used as a guide.

For any who care; CO2 is now back on my 38g, which is having real problems
with hair algae. I'll give it a month, and decide if I need an SAE/CAE or
not.

Cheers;
Duncan

"Yog-Sothoth" wrote in message
How do you build a CO2 generator with a juice bottle?
"Duncan A. McRae" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hmmmmm. Perhaps this explains the recent explosion of hair algae....

et...