Old 12-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Cammie

Default lighting / plant update

I just replaced all my incandelescent lights with the mini compacts and I
just put in an order for new plants at thatpetplace

Since I changed my lighting I decided to try a few different types of plants
I have never had before, these include onion plants, hornwort, baby tears
and bacoba. Anyone have an experience with these plants?

In addition to the new better lighting I will continue to use Flourish but
I'm not read to go and try CO2. My friends have great plants and they don't
use it and they have jungles that they have to cut back. So wish me luck
this time around!

Cammie

Old 13-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Poe Lim

I've not grown the Onion Plant, and I wonder which baby tears you have
(there appears to be several with the same name), but the others I've grown
in tanks without CO2 successfully. I did find the Hornwort will try to take
over, so you'll have to prune that a bit, but it apparently releases
allopathic substances against algae.

Cheers,
Poe

Old 13-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Cammie

"Poe Lim" wrote
I did find the Hornwort will try to take over, so you'll have to prune that
a bit, but it apparently releases allopathic substances against algae.

Wow, I hadn't heard that, very cool though. By the way I put my mini CF
lights in and all I can say is WOW. What a difference. So bright and
colorful now. I have to do a little cleaning though, they show some algae
along the gravel line that I never even saw in the incandelescent lights.
Man, I hope these are the answer for my plants and I sure hope it's not too
much light. Someone said it wouldn't be (2 - 10W Mini CF in a 10 gallon)

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 14-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Cammie

"willis stanley" wrote
If you don't want to try CO2 you could dose with Flourish Excel. I've

been trying onion plants too and they seem to be fairly undemanding.

Yep, I have Flourish in my jug of top off water

Old 14-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Cichlidiot

Cammie wrote:
"willis stanley" wrote
If you don't want to try CO2 you could dose with Flourish Excel. I've

been trying onion plants too and they seem to be fairly undemanding.

Yep, I have Flourish in my jug of top off water

Flourish Excel is different from Flourish. There is a whole line of plant
products under the Flourish name. Regular Flourish (what you have) has
basic nutrients and trace elements. Flourish Excel is supposed to provide
"organic carbon" to the plants, which is why Willis recommended using it
if you aren't using CO2.

There's also several more Flourish products. Rather than list them all, I
refer you to Seachem's website:

http://www.seachem.com/en_products/frshwater_plntd.html
Old 14-07-2003, 03:45 AM
Cammie

"Cichlidiot" wrote
Flourish Excel is different from Flourish. There is a whole line of plant
products under the Flourish name. Regular Flourish (what you have) has
basic nutrients and trace elements. Flourish Excel is supposed to provide
"organic carbon" to the plants, which is why Willis recommended using it
if you aren't using CO2.

Thanks I'll look into Flourish Excel at my work and get some.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered User

I've not grown the Onion Plant, and I wonder which baby tears you have (there appears to be several with the same name), but the others I've grown in tanks without CO2 successfully. I did find the Hornwort will try to take over, so you'll have to prune that a bit, but it apparently releases allopathic substances against algae.
Fountain Pumps