GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How zealous are Ottos? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/3651-how-zealous-ottos.html)

dGH 04-03-2003 05:27 AM

How zealous are Ottos?

My tank was literally infested with brown algae. I bought 5 ottos to take
care of the problem, and they have done a remarkable job over the past 5
days. The glass is now almost spotless, but fine leafed plants such as
hornwort and java moss are still very much covered with brown algae. Both
plants are actually growing wonderfully, especially the java moss.

In your experiences, will the ottos move on to clean up the moss and
hornwort or are they likely to go for the discus slime soon. I've got the
zuccini ready for them, but don't want to introduce it too soon as I'd
prefer them to clean up the 2 plants mentioned. I definitely want to keep
these little guys happy, as they have been a great asset to me. I just
don't know how far they'll go to eat brown algae (their preferred food?).

Any advice or tales of experience would be appreciated.

linda mar 05-03-2003 03:27 AM

How zealous are Ottos?

Hi,

I'm sure there are others who are more experienced than I who can give you
more perspective.. but I have 4 otos, and as you pointed out, they have done
a remarkable job in getting most of the algae off of the tank, tank
accessories and broad-leaved plants. I have few foxtails, and they
accumulate algae, but they do not seem to do anything with it...

I have a feeling the plant (or whatever they're eating off of) needs to have
some surface area for them to nibble... so at least, my otos are not
interested in tackling the fine-leaved plants. they do seem to eat algae
off of lysmachia, which has a small button-sized leaves, and most crypts...

linda

.. .

Pete in the Colorado Mtns 05-03-2003 04:15 AM

How zealous are Ottos?

Mine eat algae off of broader leaves (like melon sword) and narrow
leaves (like vals and crypts), and glass and driftwood and tubing and
.... but don't much mess with fine leaves like hornwort, no matter what
might be on the hornwort, algae-wise.
pete

dGH wrote:
[...]

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."

Martin 05-03-2003 08:18 PM

How zealous are Ottos?

I have seen my Ottos zealously attack my eleocharis acicularis - a fine
grass haired plant. Sometimes one strand at a time.
Though I am getting minute hair algae across fine strands now - I think they
are all full up, or they can get enough elsewhere.
Martin

dGH 06-03-2003 05:53 AM

How zealous are Ottos?

Thanks for all the input. I "swished around" the hornwort so that the algae
went to the bottom of the tank. The ottos then ate it.

A question regarding zuccini: Should it be blanched first? I put a slice
in and they nibbled it a bit, but then stopped. Perhaps there was still
enough algae in the tank to feed them. I'm not sure. Is it better to
slightly cook the zuccini so that it is softer? Any zuccini feeders out
there?

Once again, thanks for the help.

LeighMo 06-03-2003 11:51 AM

How zealous are Ottos?

A question regarding zuccini: Should it be blanched first? I put a slice
in and they nibbled it a bit, but then stopped. Perhaps there was still
enough algae in the tank to feed them. I'm not sure. Is it better to
slightly cook the zuccini so that it is softer? Any zuccini feeders out
there?

Some people nuke the zucchini for 45 seconds or so, to soften it.

I just freeze mine. When I buy a zucchini for the fish, I slice it, put it in
a ziploc bag, then put it in the freezer. I can pull out a slice whenever I
need one. It thaws quickly, and since it's been frozen, it's nice and soft for
the fish.

Leigh