GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cloudy water after water change (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/freshwater-aquaria-plants/36558-cloudy-water-after-water-change.html)

Victor M. Martinez 17-07-2003 06:00 PM

Cloudy water after water change

Racf wrote:
My tank water is not alkaline, but the tap water is.

How is this possible/being done?

Normal metabolic processes in the tank reduce the pH of the water. I think
the alkalinit of the tap water is at least in part produced by CO2, so it's
easily removed by the plants.
The water pH usually hovers around 6.8-7.0, while the tap water is around
9.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Racf 17-07-2003 11:30 PM

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in message
Racf wrote:
My tank water is not alkaline, but the tap water is.

How is this possible/being done?

Normal metabolic processes in the tank reduce the pH of the water. I

think
the alkalinit of the tap water is at least in part produced by CO2, so

it's
easily removed by the plants.
The water pH usually hovers around 6.8-7.0, while the tap water is

around
9.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Makes sense. Sounds like your water is fairly soft although high in pH.
The water in nearby Minneapolis is like that. I think they add the
buffer to raise the pH so it does not eat up their old water mains. The
added KH is quickly consumed.

JR 18-07-2003 02:26 AM

Cloudy water after water change

All water conditioners, including Prime, that neutralize chloramines also
take
care of the clorine and the ammonia released

Last week I read a post on another group. ie a guy changed water
had major death like 95% of things in tank, he threw out the old
bottle of conditioner and used a new bottle then things worked
as advertized. Might be a consideration.

JR,

Charlie C. 20-07-2003 09:38 PM

Cloudy water after water change

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in
:

I've been meaning to post here about the cloudiness that sets on my
large tank after I make water changes and fertilize the plants. The
small tank doesn't get it, just the big one. Yesterday I changed about
30% of the water and fertilized with Fluorish, Fluorish Iron, Fluorish
Excel, plus I added some Freshwater Trace. Like clockwork, the water
started turning cloudy about an hour after the water change. This
morning it's cloudy, but it should start clearing this afternoon. I
also cleaned the filter (Eheim), rinsing all the media in it.
One interesting aside is that everytime I make a water change, some of
the usually shy clown loaches come out and hang out all over the tank.

Anybody else get cloudiness after water changes?

Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Here is a possibility... My tank used to get cloudy the day after a water
change link clockwork. Turns out I was using WAY too much chlorene
removerand it must have come out of solution (?) after a while? Whatever, I
started using MUCH less chlorene remover and the problem went away.

Charlie in Houston