Old 15-07-2003, 12:53 AM
Ghazanfar Ghori

Default Identify a plant

Could be alternanthera reineckii.

"Andrey Tarasevich" wrote in message
Hello

I have a plant I would like identified. I tried looking for a picture of
this plant on a couple of Web sites, but I couldn't find one. The plant
has very distinctive look so, I hope, it shouldn't be too difficult to
identify it from a mere description.

The plant has elongated roundish leaves. Top surfaces of the leaves are
green, bottom surfaces are violet/purple. The leaves are visibly ruffled
and the edges seem to wrap up a bit. Every now and again the stem splits
into three stalks - the middle stalk continues to grow up, while the
side ones hold the leaves. Looks like every split is rotated 90 deg
relative to the previous one.

Does anyone know what's the name of this plant?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Old 15-07-2003, 12:53 AM
Andrey Tarasevich

Ghazanfar Ghori wrote:
Could be alternanthera reineckii.

Thanks. However, I just checked various punctures of alternanthera
reineckii on the Web, and I can't see anything with leaves that would
look similar to my plant's shape-wise (although I see lots of
similarities). Alternanthera reineckii plants have pronouncedly
elongated pointed leaves. The plant I'm talking about has rather wide
roundish leaves. Maybe they have these points, but they are not nearly
as pronounced as in alternanthera reineckii's case.

Old 15-07-2003, 07:23 PM
Ghazanfar Ghori

No I mean to say, crypts are not stem plants and do not propagate
like that.What you've witnessed are probably runners. A large variety of
crypts, including the ones you've mentioned, propagate via runners.
Glad to hear you've having luck with them though.

What you mean to say is you have never seen it happen. I have various

crypts
in my tank and I have seen a few doing it this way. I am not sure which

ones
but it is either wendtii, beckettii, willisii or cordata I am sorry I

can't
be more specific but I have had them that long I can't remember which is
which I have to strip out excess plants every year and have given away
hundreds, in fact I gave a friend two bag loads last year and he planted a
7'x2' tank and gave the rest away to some of his friends.

I can't show you pictures ATM as the tank is just recovering it's growth
after the last thin out at the beginning of the year, although at the rate
they are growing it wont be long till I have to thin again.

There is no CO2 and I don't feed, the lighting is a 30 watt white
fluorescent and the tank is 48x18x20 deep split in two down the middle to
make two 2' tanks. The base is half an inch of potting compost covered by

3
to 4 inches of gravel and it has been set up for seven years. Fish are,

left
side half a dozen zebra danios and a plec, right side two golden

gouramies,
half a dozen red eye tetras and a plec. Both sides have internal canister
filters and the heating is only on when the lights are on which is 12

hours
per day, there is no heating at night.

HTH.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Old 15-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Sandy

What you mean to say is you have never seen it happen. I have various

crypts
in my tank and I have seen a few doing it this way. I am not sure which

ones
but it is either wendtii, beckettii, willisii or cordata I am sorry I

"Ghazanfar Ghori" wrote in message
et...

No I mean to say, crypts are not stem plants and do not propagate
like that.What you've witnessed are probably runners. A large variety

of
crypts, including the ones you've mentioned, propagate via runners.
Glad to hear you've having luck with them though.

Nevellii, or whatever it is called now, propagates all over my tank by
runners, but this is more like a creeping rhizome.
They are the only plants I have in my tank

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 15-07-2003, 08:26 PM
Sandy

"Andrey Tarasevich" wrote in message
Hello

I have a plant I would like identified. I tried looking for a picture of
this plant on a couple of Web sites, but I couldn't find one. The plant
has very distinctive look so, I hope, it shouldn't be too difficult to
identify it from a mere description.

The plant has elongated roundish leaves. Top surfaces of the leaves are
green, bottom surfaces are violet/purple. The leaves are visibly ruffled
and the edges seem to wrap up a bit. Every now and again the stem splits
into three stalks - the middle stalk continues to grow up, while the
side ones hold the leaves. Looks like every split is rotated 90 deg
relative to the previous one.

Does anyone know what's the name of this plant?

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Sounds like one of the Cryptocorynes, I have seen them do this and elongate
the main stem. If you cut off the stem and plant it do the two parts
continue growing, the top part normally and the bottom producing small
plantlets?

Some of them seem to propagate like this, the stem bends over and where it
touches the gravel it roots.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 16-07-2003, 01:27 AM
spun 12

Andrey Tarasevich wrote in message ...
Hello

I have a plant I would like identified. I tried looking for a picture of
this plant on a couple of Web sites, but I couldn't find one. The plant
has very distinctive look so, I hope, it shouldn't be too difficult to
identify it from a mere description.

The plant has elongated roundish leaves. Top surfaces of the leaves are
green, bottom surfaces are violet/purple. The leaves are visibly ruffled
and the edges seem to wrap up a bit. Every now and again the stem splits
into three stalks - the middle stalk continues to grow up, while the
side ones hold the leaves. Looks like every split is rotated 90 deg
relative to the previous one.

Does anyone know what's the name of this plant?

Hey that sounds like a plant that I have the lobelias cardinalias
(cardinal)I just I guess I know Florida Driftwood has a pic thats
where I got mine

People who water garden together stay together
Old 16-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Andrey Tarasevich

spun 12 wrote:
I have a plant I would like identified. I tried looking for a picture of
this plant on a couple of Web sites, but I couldn't find one. The plant
has very distinctive look so, I hope, it shouldn't be too difficult to
identify it from a mere description.

The plant has elongated roundish leaves. Top surfaces of the leaves are
green, bottom surfaces are violet/purple. The leaves are visibly ruffled
and the edges seem to wrap up a bit. Every now and again the stem splits
into three stalks - the middle stalk continues to grow up, while the
side ones hold the leaves. Looks like every split is rotated 90 deg
relative to the previous one.

Does anyone know what's the name of this plant?

Hey that sounds like a plant that I have the lobelias cardinalias
(cardinal)I just I guess I know Florida Driftwood has a pic thats
where I got mine

Yes, they have a picture of lobelias cardinalias on their Web site, but
it doesn't look similar to my plant (not a very good picture though).

What I see on the picture doesn't seem to have any purple/violet on
undersides of the leaves. My plants leaves have very pronounced deep
violet undersides.

The leaves on the picture are more elongated and wrap towards the
ground. My plant's leaves are ruffled and pretty much horizontal
(parallel to the ground), only their edges wrap upwards a little.

--
Best regards,
Andrey Tarasevich

Old 18-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Sandy

"Sandy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thought you might like to see some pictures of my tank, they aren't
the best of quality and the blue on some is reflection from the
window, but you can see how well the Crypts. are doing.

Here is the link.

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/gallery/...humbnails.html

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

Old 21-07-2003, 09:28 PM
~Vicki ~

I am looking at my plant book and came across this one. Sounds like the
plant you have. Here is what the book said.

Ludwigia repens
water primrose

family : Onagracae
range : tropical n. America and c. America
appearance : Stem plant, about 20 in (50 cm) tall. Leaves decus-sate,
short-stemmed, roundish to broad-ovate; upper side olivegreen,
underside reddish to deep red/purple. Color is dependant on light, in
week light the plant remains pale. In emersed culture, small flowers
with yellow petals may form.
care : Tolerates coolish water better than overly warm, needs nutrient
rich bottom and regular additions of fertilizer after every water
change. Branches prolificly, so be sure to leave enough room at the
sides when planting.
Light : 50 w per 25 g (100L)
water : 68* - 86*F (20 -30 C)
2* - 15 * dCH; pH 5.5 - 7.5
propagation : by cuttings
placement : use in groups in the middle and along the sides.

Hope this helped.
Vicki