Old 04-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Bob A

Default otos "attacking" other fish?

I am having a problem in my tank for a couple of weeks now, and I've been
trying to get some help on other groups since it is fish-related. I just
read a post here alluding to otos going after the slime coating on other
fish. This is something I wasn't aware of..

First my tiger barbs, now most of my fish, are scratching against plants and
the heater, etc. I've seen some things that made me think gill flukes (esp
the tiger barbs' gills look discolored). This is the thing... my dad
yesterday said he saw an oto attach to a fish briefly. I didn't think much
of it. There is still plenty of algae in my tank, both green spot and
diatomous (sp?) brown and I've never seen them doing anything but eating
this.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

bob

ps - no ich spots anywhere

Old 04-03-2003, 08:16 PM
350X_Rider

Warning, you may have rec'd something other than Otos.... I've went thru
several places that didn't really, REALLY know how to ID a true Oto... but
finally when I found a shop that had them, you can tell in a way... the
Otos, have a black stripe that runs from nose to tip of tail... others
dont... not a spotted line, a SOLID line.... some have fattened bellies,
some don't.. but they always have 1" bodies, no bigger...

in over a year with my Otos, I've never had one attach itself... to a fish
that is... and are very active swimmers sometimes...

I just hope you didn't get the wrong kind....

Put some zuchinni in the tank to keep them fed well... even if there is some
algae, they may be looking for better food source... and you may have to
wipe or clean the brown algae because they may not be interested YET......

Old 04-03-2003, 10:39 PM
LeighMo

I just
read a post here alluding to otos going after the slime coating on other
fish. This is something I wasn't aware of..

Most of them don't do this. Every once in awhile, you'll get an oto that does.
Some plecos also do this. Otos, IME, are the least likely of sucker-mouthed
fish to attack the slime coats of their tankmates, while CAEs are most likely.

First my tiger barbs, now most of my fish, are scratching against plants and
the heater, etc. I've seen some things that made me think gill flukes (esp
the tiger barbs' gills look discolored).

I don't think the otos are to blame. It sounds like you have some kind of
parasite in the tank.

Leigh

Old 04-03-2003, 11:51 PM
kush

Concur. I don't know how many otos I've had over the years - certainly
hundreds, possibly thousands - and I have never seen one even look like it
realized that there were other fish in the tank.

Old 05-03-2003, 01:03 AM
Aqua

trying to get some help on other groups since it is fish-related. I just
read a post here alluding to otos going after the slime coating on other
fish. This is something I wasn't aware of..

BTW does your "otto" look like Chinese Algae Eater

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

--
Thank You

Dominic
http://www.dlink.org/aqua

Old 05-03-2003, 04:03 AM
Pete in the Colorado Mtns

I have 5 otos in my 55g, and have once or twice (only) seen an oto very
briefly try to suck on the side of another fish (angelfish). Both times
were times of upheaval in the tank. One case in particular where I was
pulling rocks & driftwood out doing some rearranging - the otos got very
-- excited - shall we say. They were flitting about the tank very
fast, doing all kinds of odd things that they don't usually do. They're
usually just wandering around, scribbing plants, glass, etc or stuck to
same. But boy they can get excited sometimes.

pete

Bob A wrote:
[...]

"It is unwise to insult a doughnut be refusing to eat it."

Old 05-03-2003, 04:03 PM
Robert Flory

From
http://www.aquaticscape.com/informat...#Prophylactics

"Otocinclus sp.
Otocinclus are diligent algae eaters, but are best kept in schools due to
their small size. One per 10 gallons is a useful rule of thumb. Various
species of otos are seen in the shops at various times; most are good algae
eaters but some seem to prefer the slime coat on fish to algae.
Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to distinguish the "attack otos"
from normal otos. Otos seem to be very delicate fish, but this is probably
due to capture and shipping abuse rather than an inherent weakness. When a
fish shop gets some in, it is wise to wait a while before purchasing to
account for die offs. Most people report getting a dozen and having them die
over a period of a few months until just a couple are left. Those then seem
to last for a long time. "

I stumbled across this.....

Bob

Old 05-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Bob A

Thanks everyone for so much help. I'm pretty sure I have "authentic"
otocinclus, my LFS seemed to be very familiar with them, and they do have
the solid black stripe down each side. They definitely are not CAE.

After I posted this I saw one going after the dorsal fin of a bala shark. I
watch my aquarium quite a bit, so two times is not "often". Usually (99.9%
of the time) they are munching away at green and brown algae.

I have a 55g tank with eight otos. Possibly one of them is not a true oto,
or as was said, a "bad" one.

I'll keep an eye. I think the scratching is getting better, I don't want to
medicate unless I have to. But like I said I'm keeping watch. Oh yes, just
by coincidence, I have a zuchinni coming in tonight, so maybe that will make
a difference.

thanks much,

bob

Old 06-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Sabine Haller

If your fish are scratching all the time, then you most propably have a
parasite. If they are scratching occasionally (once in a while) , then they
just have an itch and nothing to worry about.

If your fish are scratching regulary and your Otos "attack" them, I would
certainly get my magnifying glass out. Sounds like you do have a parasite
and the Otos might just be after them.

We have several different versions of Otos and Paraotos, none ever attack
the fish or suck on them. Otos tend to do better in groups, my Paraoto
killed of all his mates, so he is now in a little tank where there is only
space for one Oto anyway. Paraotos seem to be more active during the night
as well (I used to think I lost him several times, as I couldn't find him in
a 5G tank for up to 3 weeks, but then suddenly he would re-appear and hang
on the front glass...).

You can find "your" species he

http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

(click on cat e-log)

Greetings
Sabine

Old 08-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Bob A

Thanks. Things have improved considerably. I've only seen one inhabitant
scratch lately, a bala shark, and not often. Either I was neurotic (not
unlikely) or it was something temporary (perhaps a water condition?).

I'm almost positive after looking at the photos at planetcatfish that they
are true otocinclus, although I can't say which one. I haven't seen an
"attack" again either.

thanks to everyone who helped,

bob