Old 16-07-2003, 12:21 AM
Tero Huikko

Default Help needed

Hi,

I always try to do the very best, because it's hard to do better and it
won't haunt you afterwards...but to the point.

I have 700 litres tank with Anubias nana, Anubias lanceolata, Crinum
thaianum, Echinodorus schluterii "leopard" and a few Vallisneria gigantea
and they wont grow or succeed. The Crinum grows pretty good but not as good
as it should. The gravel is 1-2mm clusters pretty fine at some parts (on
the Crinum).

I have two 70W metal halide lamps with 5200K daylight bulbs and they are
80cm above the water level. I went to extremely expensive metal halides
because the tank is 70cm high and "they" told me not to hassle with the
tubes. I give liquid fertilizers twice a week and I have planted solid
fert.rocks on the roots of the plants. Fe is good or more than good. And
yes the tank has fish in it.

Should I move the light closer to the tank (40cm?) Should I buy a CO2
spredder? Should I give up and try to become the King of Norway? Opinions
please.

-TH

--
________________________________
http://drive.to/oldsclub

Old 20-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Yog-Sothoth

My experience to date with aquatic plants is that they are fine when they
are first planted then the period of transformation begins. In a lot of
cases the plants die back then adjust to new water conditions.

I have an Echinodorus schluterii "leopard" that I can tell is still alive
but it is not growing at all just now.
"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
[...]

Conversions for someone on my side of the pond...
185gallon
70cm tall = 27.5"
80cm = 31"
2x70W MH = 140W over a 185g = .75WPG, in the lower range, but ok

My questions are these... and Im not an expert, but I'm intuitive...
CO2?
Light duration??
Water parameters for CO2 levels??

I believe the lights are too far away, 31" away? That seems like they

would
be on the ceiling, or near it... MHO would be to put them about 30cm away
and see...

CO2 is a huge factor, and if you dont' have it, you don't NEED it, but

it's
nice.... your CO2 could be low, but your plants are lower light plants and
should be doing better, so maybe it's a little of this and little that

your
lights are 2 and a half foot above the tank.... the light may not be
penetrating the water well enough to make your plants really take

advantage
of the ferts in the water...

also, most ppl will say 12hours of light would be adequate... not sure

what
your duration is...