Old 17-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Evergreen

Default How much lighting is too much?

I have been keeping plants for a little over a year, but would say I am
still a beginner at this. I am going to upgrade the lighting on my 46
gallon bowfront tank from a single flourescent, giving me right now ~1
watt/gallon, to a compact flourescent fixture. I am looking at the Coralife
deluxe series and am debatting between the 96 watt fixture, giving me 2
watts/gallon, and the 192 watt fixture, giving me 4 watts/gallon. It is a
36" hood. I do not currently have any supplemental CO2. I am leaning
toward the 192 watt, but am wondering if that will require CO2 to keep
things in check. It would be nice to be able to keep some bright light
plants! Any advice?

Old 17-07-2003, 06:13 AM
RedForeman

Can you elaborate a little about the "is going to cause you problems if you
are not prepared." part? I'd like to know as well, I'm always looking for
more info...

thanks.

At 4 wpg you are going to need CO2. Maybe not right at the start but
soon. And going from ~1 wpg to 4 wpg is going to cause you problems
if you are not prepared.

I have been keeping plants for a little over a year, but would say I am
still a beginner at this. I am going to upgrade the lighting on my 46
gallon bowfront tank from a single flourescent, giving me right now ~1
watt/gallon, to a compact flourescent fixture. I am looking at the

Coralife
deluxe series and am debatting between the 96 watt fixture, giving me 2
watts/gallon, and the 192 watt fixture, giving me 4 watts/gallon. It is

36" hood. I do not currently have any supplemental CO2. I am leaning
toward the 192 watt, but am wondering if that will require CO2 to keep
things in check. It would be nice to be able to keep some bright light
plants! Any advice?

Semper Fi!

Visit the forums at Aqua Botanic!
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/#1

Need Nitrate or Potassium for your tank? Go to www.litemanu.com
(Just a happy customer of the above!)

Old 18-07-2003, 04:03 AM
Rex Grigg

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 04:07:40 GMT, "RedForeman"
wrote:

Can you elaborate a little about the "is going to cause you problems if you
are not prepared." part? I'd like to know as well, I'm always looking for
more info...

thanks.

Prepared, as with CO2, and test kits. Nitrate and phosphate. Having
an adequate amount of fertilizers on hand. Bulk sources of nitrate,
phosphate, potassium, trace minerals. Knowing how to dose the
fertilizers. A 4 wpg tank is what I consider to be a very fast tank.
Plants grow fast, nutrients are used fast, problems happen fast, fixes
happen slow.

Old 19-07-2003, 08:42 AM
Evergreen

Yes, thank you. And that makes sense to me....what you're saying.

The thing is that it seems to be 36" hoods give (in compact flourescent)
either 2x or 4x wattage of the tank, at least if it is a 46g bowfront, as
mine. But I would imagine that any amount of containment around that area
would require a similar wattage of lightbulbs. I was thinking of going for
3x watts/gallon, but now it seems like I have the choice between 2x or 4x.
Not sure about that.

Old 24-07-2003, 02:33 AM
nikolay_kraltchev

12 (yes, twelve) wpg is possible if you are well "prepared". It's a
question of establsihing a balance. Not a question of wpg, ml of
fertilizers, expensive equipment and such. Watch the plants they will
tell you if you are doing them good.

--Nikolay
Old 24-07-2003, 06:48 AM
~Vicki ~

When you see your fish wearing sun glasses it is to much....

Vicki

Laugh and the world laughs with you

Old 27-07-2003, 04:42 PM
newsserver.triad.rr.com

I went from 2 X55 PC Super daylight bulbs to a new aqua medic 4X T5 54W and
run only one of the ballasts. The two 54W suspended 8 inches over the top
has done a much better job. The new kelvin rating is 6500 and a little
yellower but the difference is dramatic. Some slow growers are now thriving.

I would not recommend more than that on a standard 55 gallon tank though

Drew

om...