Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Christopher

Default costs of buying/maintaining a tank

I I have a tank for about 6-7 months now and have spent about 4k on it, I'm
wondering if this is normal or have I been buying too many toys/expensive
stuff for it that is unnecessary? I have a 125gallon tank with a 20gallon
tank underneath it to raise shrimp in. (both tanks acryllic). Can you guys
list what types of tanks you have and the stuff you have put on them and the
aproximate amount of money you have spent on them? I don't think
maintaining the tank will be that expensive, probably on the order of
$200-$300 a year (mostly due to bulb replacement 7x20watt, foods, expensive
fertilizers). I'm more interested in the 'setup' costs associated with a
tank, I'm not sure if I've been buying this stuff at way more than I should
be paying. Please reply with your info, I'll post a detailed itemization
later.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Mort

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
[...]

I have no experience with acryllic tanks as of yet but that still sounds a
bit high.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, check out Dr. Fosters & Smith.

They have way better pricing than what you will find at your LFS.

On a side, how handy are you? I am a Do It Yourselfer kind of guy and I
managed to score a deal on a 180 and set it up for under $1000.00 (Paid
$500.00 for tank, stand, hood, and lights, all brand new... very lucky )

~Mort

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Christopher

I bought my original filters and lights and bubbler and a few lights at the
LFS when I got the tank (I didn't realize drs foster & smith existed, or was
that much cheaper) Now I've been buying everything online. My intial
purchase was $1400 which included the tank, stand, canopy, lights, heater,
2xfluval 404's, argonite, cichlid buffer, cichlid salt, de-chlorinator,
bubbler and an airstone.

.com...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Dan J.S.

[...]

I replace my lights at home depot, where they cost $6-8 a pop. Food is
cheap. I do not buy carbon or any thing else, and I do not do Co2
injection - I believe my SUV does enough of that already. My setup costs
were fairly high, I have a 150 that recently sprung a leak and got a new one
(warranty replaced). So I had to re-buy a lot of the fish, plants, etc. My
initial setup costs we

tank and stand - $700
Custom oak top - $125
Two fluval 404s - $85 a pop
sand and gravel- $50
4 light strips - $45 each
Two heaters - $15 each

Java fern and fish - $200

Not quite done with the fish yet. so thats the only thing going on in that
department

Dan

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Madd Hatter

I bought my 100GAL setup for $350.00CDN (that's 60 something cents US to
1.00CDN). I purchased it used. I got the tank, a tubular steel stand, all
the gravel, a fluval 404, about 40 pounds of coral (dead, it used to be a
marine setup), a protein skimmer, and a home built trickle filter made of a
35 GAL tank w/ over 10GAL of bioballs. The guy also gave me
thermometers/heaters and a few buckets nets etc. He had got out of the hobby
entirely, so he just wanted to get rid of the stuff The tank had a glass top
and 2 dual fluorescent fixtures w/ a tonne of spare tube lights. All I did
was add water, fish, and eventually build a nice wood top. These deals are
not uncommon, if you know where to look in your area. A lot of people jump
into the hobby w/ no real idea of what is needed as far as a time and money
commitment... Everything dies and they end up just dumping their equipment
for pennies on the dollar. You risk buying a tank that might be a bit leaky
or a faulty pump occasionally, but I think investing a little bit of
silicone and a little bit of time, is more then balanced by saving thousands
of dollars. Then again, I hate paying full price for anything, so I'm quite
willing to hunt down bargains.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Toni

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I I have a tank for about 6-7 months now and have spent about 4k on it,

I'm
wondering if this is normal or have I been buying too many toys/expensive
stuff for it that is unnecessary?

Been buying retail again, eh?
You can knock that *way* down by planning ahead far enough to order online.
Course you don't get that instant gratification/gotta have it now rush, but
you save maybe 50%.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/aquarium

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Christopher

I bought the initial things from the LFS, the tank the stand, the canopy,
tubes/ballasts, filters and a few chemicals, since then I have only
purchased online, that includes 70% of my fish as well.

rthlink.net...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Vincent

Hi,

I think buying online is a one-stop solution but not the most cost
effective. For the 4 feet tank that I have, I hunt through classifieds and
local aquarist forums to find the cheapest one, in the end, I got mine for
free. It comes together with a 4 feet over head filter, gravels and decos,
driftwoods, 3 feet submerged light with ballast, a cupboard stand. The only
thing I have to pay for is transportation.

For plants, I went to the farms that does distribution to the LFS. Their
cost is 50% of what LFS is selling.

For canister filters, I waited for 6 months to land myself on a Atman 3338
canister filter with 40% cost reduction.

For fishes, I trade or buy them from the cheapest LFS that I can find.

You can imagine the cost that I incur.....

Vincent

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I bought the initial things from the LFS, the tank the stand, the canopy,
tubes/ballasts, filters and a few chemicals, since then I have only
purchased online, that includes 70% of my fish as well.

rthlink.net...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Rich Conley

55 gallon w/ 1/2 " glass and angle iron stand (want ad) $50
75 lbs Southdown Tropical Play Sand $15
Rocks from back yard
$0 1 hour work...
AQ 400 filter and 2 AQ 402 powerheads $70 (Big Al's)
2 X 150 w ebo jager heater
$29 (Big Al's)
2 x Metaframe Stow-away hood (used with tank)
4 x screw in 18w Compact fluorescent Daylight $22 (home depot)
8 X Cynotilapia Afra Cobue
8 x Pseudotropheus Zebra Nkhata bay $96 (both with
shipping...aquabid)
6 X Yellow
Lab $30
Assortment of plants (clippings from r.a.f.p and my 20H) $11
Can of OSI Spirulina, OSI Staple $16
Total
Cost
$339 = $6.16 per gallon

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Buckaroo

It is critical that you provide the list you indicated you would.
Otherwise, anything would be guesswork.

"Christopher" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
I bought the initial things from the LFS, the tank the stand, the canopy,
tubes/ballasts, filters and a few chemicals, since then I have only
purchased online, that includes 70% of my fish as well.

rthlink.net...

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
jp

Lets see, for the 125:
I bought the tank, stand and lights all used. The tank was only a year old
and had only been full for half of that time. The stand and lights were 6
monthes old and never been used. Lights are 3 36" strip lights.

Tank, Stand, Lights: $250
PC Lights off of another tank, bought new: $150
100 lbs of Silica Sand: $5
100 lbs of Aragonite Sand: $20
Ebo Jager Heater: $18
Filstar XP3: $100
Fluval 304: $85
Whisper 5: Free
~150 lbs @ $1/lb (since then I found a rock quarry so I pay about $0.25-0.45
for all my rock depending on type)
I've spent about $250-300 on fish but most came from other hobbiests or
auction. I think the multipunctatus and the polyterus were the most
expensive.

At most I spent about a grand on the whole thing.

--
jp

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Ron Hansen

75 gallon freshwater tank with fish, stand, light, Aquaclear 300 & 200,
heater, gravel, ornaments - $200 (someone was moving)

New, unused 55 gal and 30 gal drums so that I could move the fish and
all the water and gravel about 100 miles - $45 from the manufacturer (I
picked them up from the plant) Taking the water and gravel (bio) meant
that I did not have to cycle the tank (and find somewhere to put an 11"
Oscar)

Spongebob Squarepants ornament for my 3 year old son to look at - $7

Python gravel cleaner/water changer - $35

New impeller for @#$*% noisy Aquaclear 300 - $8

New filtration system because the Aquaclears are too noisy, don't mech
or bio filter well enough and to be able to push the tank back to the
wall:
Rainbow Lifegard Quiet One 3000 Pump - $50
Rainbow Lifegard AF-94T Mechanical Module - $42
Rainbow Lifegard AF-93T Chemical Module - $29
Rainbow Lifegard AF-92T Heater Module - $29
Seastorm 100 Fluidized Bed Filter - $20 (eBay)
Eheim air diffuser - $6
Air pump - $15
Assorted plumbing - $40

All told - about $500

"Will you please shut up!" "You shut up. I am zee author,
you are zee audience. I outrank you." -- The Producers
Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Robert MacCara

I've recently purchased a used 80 gallon tank for $500 (Canadian)
The seller paid $1200 18 months ago from the LFS (Pet's Unlimited)
Included everything but the fish.
Fluval 303
lots of gravel, rocks
large piece of driftwood which I chucked out
heater
nice fake plants with anchors
This week I purchase the fish from a breeder for $1/fish
I bought a "rebuild" kit for the fluval for $30
I'll post a pic link once it's stocked.
Regards,
Rob

Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
LeighMo

I I have a tank for about 6-7 months now and have spent about 4k on it, I'm
wondering if this is normal or have I been buying too many toys/expensive
stuff for it that is unnecessary?

Both. g Seriously, it always costs more than you expect, especially if you
are new. Some things are worth the money, and are an investment that will last
for years. Other things...well, chalk them up to valuable experience. And
don't feel bad. Everyone ends up buying stuff they could kick themselves for
wasting money on later. Someone should start a "stupid products I wasted my
money on" thread....

Leigh

Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
James Ervin

On Sun, 04 May 2003 18:53:53 GMT, "Christopher" wrote:

be paying. Please reply with your info, I'll post a detailed itemization
later.

My main tank is a 120 that I scored off a fellow that had to move.
$500.00 ready to run. I added a wet dry and a PC light for about $200
more.

I started a plant tank for my daughter to have a "community tank" in
and had to spend $200 for the tank. I was given a decent ballast and
a CO2 system from a friend that had gone to african's from planted
tanks. I built the hood and spent about $160 for plants and fish. I
spent another $150 on enough chemicals to make the PMDD for a small
county of aquarists.

I recently bought some high end test equipment from Hach and that was
a lot.

The key for me has been two things:

1. Purchase equipment that will last the rest of your life. I have
some Ocean Clear canister filters that will still be going when I am
not.
2. Associate with a group of people and share cast off equipment
(give and take).

Take the stick in the eye out to reply.