Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default got new cabomba, how does it root?

I just got a new little few stalks of cabomba. How fast does it root? I am
having a pain in the butt trying to keep the stalks planted. Any other tips
on how to prune and take care of it?

thanx!
--
Dave Picklyk
www.picklyk.com/aquascape

Old 17-07-2003, 09:42 PM
m.dekort

cabomba is a hassle - as ot grows the bottom gets thin so you have to
cut the top and replant. try crypt, green hygro, wisteria and ludwiga -
each roots - does well and is not a hassle,

Old 17-07-2003, 09:43 PM
Robert Flory

Dave M. Picklyk wrote:

I just got a new little few stalks of cabomba. How fast does it root? I

am
having a pain in the butt trying to keep the stalks planted. Any other

tips
on how to prune and take care of it?

thanx!

AMEN, I've got three tanks full of it, growing faster than I'd like. I am
pruning it back as I can afford other plants.

I just got Echinodorus tenellus, LFS charged an outrageous amount for it,
but it had a runner on it with two plantlets on it. I cut that off and
planted it separately. In a week the two plantlets have tripled in size and
two additional plantlets have formed on the end. My Anubias nana actually
bloomed the week after I planted it. All this in a 3/4watt /gallon tank
with DIY CO2.

Old 17-07-2003, 09:44 PM
LeighMo

I just got a new little few stalks of cabomba. How fast does it root?

Depends on how much light and CO2 you have. It can be very fast. Days.

I am
having a pain in the butt trying to keep the stalks planted.

It's a common problem. I bury the bottom inch or so of each stem by dragging
it a little through the gravel. It stays down better if the part that's under
the gravel is a bit horizontal rather than perfectly vertical.

Any other tips
on how to prune and take care of it?

If you keep Cabomba, you get good at planting it, because it grows very fast,
and it looks better if you prune it from the bottom. Just about every week, I
cut off the tops, pull out the bottoms, and re-plant the tops. You can keep
the bottoms if you want to propagate the plant, but it tends to get very
straggly if you keep cutting off the tops.

Leigh